The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposting this from the general forum, and adding pictures of some of my fish in the second post. Figure i might as well update it with new pics as I get them.

Got laid up with a nasty injury while working, so had time to take some pics and clean up my tanks alittle. Figured i'd share. I put alot of work into them and never really posted anything up. Most of these plants I got from people here at this forum.. and most of them I have no idea what they are =)

First up, 29 gallon. Bettas, ghost shrimp, zebra danios. Nothing crazy to note except how crazy anarchis grows. Also, java moss took about 2 months to show any growth, and then rampaged. I believe this has 48watt t5 coralife fixture.

Next, 75 gallon. Angels, clown loaches, two electric blue jack dempseys that are growing out in this tank, 2 male bettas, roseline sharks (denison barbs) Has a coralife t5ho 3x54 light, but I only use 1 bulb. Tied a bunch of different mosses and plants to the ornaments and wood today. Should be interesting to see how it develops.

And finally my planted 90 gallon oscar tank (yes, oscar tank) he rips some stuff up every now and again, but not as bad as people say. We will see when he grows out. I also have pothos growing out of the back of the tank too. He's my fav fish so I make sure he has super healthy water. The tank has three pieces of driftwood, each with different mosses (Taiwan, flame, christmas, something else, I know I have 4 but can't seem to recall) amongst a million other different plants. Lighting is catalina 2x54t5ho 10k and 6500k. He's an attention whore, so I couldn't take any pic without him putting his face in it.

That's it. Crossing my fingers the images came out ok. Enjoy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of my fish just would not cooperate for this, my oscar in particular.

I take great care in sourcing my fish, and hand pick them - i'm curious as to anyone's opinions on the quality of the fish themselves, see if i'm doing it right or not.

Also, some would find it strange but I have a very, very aggressive angel that I had to rehome with the oscar.. and they are best friends. Been in together about a month and the angel actually bites the oscar every now and again over food, it's hilarious and a totally unlikely pair.

Anyway, without further delay;

The buddies

Gold spotted female bristlenose

My very, very peaceful EBJD. Praying he(she?) survives. Lost one already.

Super aggressive nasty blue acara .. I might actually have to rehome him. All my other SA cichlids are very peaceful including the other blue acara I have. This one is a freak. Beautiful though

These guys certainly live up to their name, couldn't get them to sit still for the shot. I've trained them to come to the top for food, which is a blast to watch.

Used to be my most outgoing fish, green severum. He's got white poo and not eating well lately was hard to get a decent pic of him. Probably the best personality outside of my oscar.. the severum will literally follow my hand in the tank, poke around anything that I move, brush against me etc. Not afraid in the least, and doesn't get spooked when the rest of the tank does.

My all bark no bite firemouth. He loves squaring off against the other fish and then taking off , fighting the glass, and goes absolutely ballistic at feeding time. Couldn't get a good pic.. he has fantastic colors.

My absolute all time favorite fish - bettas. They were biting my hand and camera while I was taking this. Huge jumpers. Cute, but i've lost some that way =(

A general shot of my clowns and desison barbs (roseline sharks)

And last but not least, everyone's favorite. Fred the Oscar, who would absolutely not cooperate for the photoshoot. Best personality of any fish i've ever owned. Last one is him sleeping, swear to god. Every night he sleeps like that and I think he's dead.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The reason your Blue Acara is so aggressive is because it is not a Blue Acara, but a young Green Terror. Blue Acaras are actually alot better beheved except when it comes to food. By the way I love your tanks all of your setups look great. Oscars are so interesting to me. There like your little own pesonal water puppy. I just wish I had a tank large enough and a tank that is not being used. Great Work :icon_smil!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the "hair" in the first picture, lol.
Actually, I like all your tanks, but a few pictures of your fish would be nice...:biggrin:
Hope your injury is getting better.
Thanks, I like the hair too. I go for a very natural look in my tanks generally.. always mixing up nice green plants with driftwood.. but something about that just makes me keep it, and everyone loves it haha. Pictures of fish (crappy ones however) as requested =)

The reason your Blue Acara is so aggressive is because it is not a Blue Acara, but a young Green Terror. Blue Acaras are actually alot better beheved except when it comes to food. By the way I love your tanks all of your setups look great. Oscars are so interesting to me. There like your little own pesonal water puppy. I just wish I had a tank large enough and a tank that is not being used. Great Work :icon_smil!!!!
You know, i've heard the stories of blue acara being confused with green terrors.. but they look like acars in terms of body shape and finnage.. the facial markings do look like a GT though. That would explain it. It ripped apart my male betta that I was using to breed, and had coexisted peacefully for months with everything else in the tank. Doesn't sound acara like. I love my oscar. People scoff at the idea of having such a large tank just for him, but it's totally worth it. I guess technically he's got his buddy the angel now though. Thanks for compliment.. I also emailed the individual I got the acaras from for clarification with the attached photos. We will see.

awesome looking tanks! it will be interesting when the bigger ones grow out!

Keep the pics coming :)
Thanks :) and yea, i personally got the juvies so I could watch them grow out. I also think fish that grow out in community tanks have better temperaments towards other fish, and it brings out more character in them. I need to get a better camera and learn to use it for some better pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.