The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I figured it was about darn time I shared a picture of one of my tanks with you all. I set this tank up back in the beginning of November. The substrate is mineralized topsoil w/ clay over a dusting of crushed limestone. So far, next to no dosing save pressurized CO2. Once in a great while I'll add some potassium, but usually this isn't necessary unless I haven't done a water change in weeks.

You all may have seen this picture that I took in haste this past Monday.

Tuesday was midground / foreground rescape day. This included some new plants in the mix and better looking stonework. Comments and constructive criticisms are welcome and encouraged. :D

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

You got it mrbelvedere, they are Lagenandra meeboldii 'pink'. There is now one on the left side as well. I'm hoping to have a smaller 'thicket' of it on the other side to balance things out.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is incredible.

What is the short foreground plant in the 1st picture?
The foreground consists of a homogenous mix of: Echinodorus tenellus 'micro', Ranalisma rostrata, Lilaeopsis sp. 'micro' and Cryptocoryne parva. The plant you can see in the picture is likely the Ranalisma as it's a nice bright green.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow tanks like these have inspired my 50 gallon crypt tank. i just love the big leaves and tall plants in the background that create a roof. excellent. id love to see more pictures
Thanks, I'm glad to hear I can be part of your inspiration. :biggrin:

BTW: Your PM box is full. ;)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
How much light are you running with this tank. Could you give us some info about how you prepared the tank with soil as a substrait.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I am using pressurized CO2. No dosing though. Only the occasional potassium and I do mean occasional.

Lots of fish that like to hide during pictures:

Green neons ~ 30
Rummynose ~ 8
Corydoras oiapoquensis ~ 8
Splashing Tetras ~ 12
Gertrudae rainbows ~ 8
Rainbow shark 1
SAE 2
Niger Ottos ~ 6
Cherry shrimp
Amano shrimp
Nerite snails

How much light are you running with this tank. Could you give us some info about how you prepared the tank with soil as a substrait.
I have a whole journal thread about it on the 'other' planted tank forum. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/32043-el-natural-with-a-twist-long.html

The light I'm using is the Tek 4 x 54 watt light. I have it on for 10 hours a day. All four bulbs are only at for 5 hours of that time for a midday effect.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Cool Aaron! Could you give us a background plant rundown. Is that H. sp." Pantanal wavy" in the middle. And is it Crypt balansae on the right?

I like that you took that big cliff like rock out on the right. I like the new scape better since the foreground is more rockery and less flat. How is the clarity with soil?

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool Aaron! Could you give us a background plant rundown. Is that H. sp." Pantanal wavy" in the middle. And is it Crypt balansae on the right?

I like that you took that big cliff like rock out on the right. I like the new scape better since the foreground is more rockery and less flat. How is the clarity with soil?
Yes, you got the backround plants correct on the right side. :) From right to left in the backround is Crypt. balansae, Hygrophila sp. 'Pantanal Wavy', Vallisneria nana, Crypt. usteriana (not yet visible) and Crypt. retrospiralis.

I'm loving these new rocks too. I payed good money for 'em so I had better be loving them. :icon_smil

Clarity with the soil is pretty decent. I had to let it clear Monday after taking everything out and started planting on Tuesday. No algae bloom though. :) If I don't do a water change for a few weeks it does start to get a slight tannin tinge to the water. It kinda looks natural though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, I remember when you first set up this tank. It's amazing how all your plants have grown out. This tank actually inspires me to do a predominately crypt tank as well. Thanks for posting the updated pics.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, I remember when you first set up this tank. It's amazing how all your plants have grown out. This tank actually inspires me to do a predominately crypt tank as well. Thanks for posting the updated pics.
Thanks. :) Yes, it's come quite a long way. The nice thing about predominantly Crypt and rooted plant tanks is that they stay at their peak for longer due to the slower growth. Of course the flip side is that it took 5 months to get to this point. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.