The Planted Tank Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Awesome! Rummynose tetras are great little schoolers, I've wanted a school for awhile. They would look great with your scape!

I've read that cories and kuhli loaches will be competing for the same food, do you think that could be why your juliis are having trouble?

Perhaps. I never ruled it out, but the kuhlis were so recluse. I hardly ever saw them. The cories didn't seem too shy about getting theirs come feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hey Jeff! So I recall you saying that you had that surface scum build up in your sump between your sheets of poret foam. I noticed that today as well in my return section. Since I have a few sponge filters seeding for my soon to be QT tank, I moved it over there and have noticed that the surface scum build up was gone after a bit. That may be a touch more economical running vs a power filter in there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Hey Jeff! So I recall you saying that you had that surface scum build up in your sump between your sheets of poret foam. I noticed that today as well in my return section. Since I have a few sponge filters seeding for my soon to be QT tank, I moved it over there and have noticed that the surface scum build up was gone after a bit. That may be a touch more economical running vs a power filter in there.

That's a good idea! I have a sponge filter that's about to be freed back up from a hospital tank, so that would work out nice!

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
355 Posts
At the aquarium shop, one of those moments happened.
I was thinking butter, or seeing how I could squeeze them in somewhere among the projects, possibly in the open chamber of a sump.

BUtter and garlic!
No! Sumps
No! butter.

·
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum
709 Posts
Nice tank, thank you for sharing your journal.

I have some questions that you might laugh at. I noticed you used screws. Did you drill pilot holes for all of your screws?

Lights, what type of lights did you end up using and what do you have to say about them now. Still like them or? I'm looking at flood lights?

What are some of the pitfalls about using a refugium in your opinion, for freshwater. They seem to allow for some much control over your tank, but it seems like you would need more CO2 for a high tech tank and I'm always paranoid about leaking when using a refugium?

Cheers,
DD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Nice tank, thank you for sharing your journal.

I have some questions that you might laugh at. I noticed you used screws. Did you drill pilot holes for all of your screws?

Lights, what type of lights did you end up using and what do you have to say about them now. Still like them or? I'm looking at flood lights?

What are some of the pitfalls about using a refugium in your opinion, for freshwater. They seem to allow for some much control over your tank, but it seems like you would need more CO2 for a high tech tank and I'm always paranoid about leaking when using a refugium?

Cheers,
DD

I'm not laughing at any of your questions! I think they're great questions.

Most of the screws used in my stand and canopy were used in a Kreg system. Pocket holes whenever I could use them. Makes for a very clean and strong joint, especially combined with glue.

I went with Aquatic Life Halos for the lights. I love them. I can adjust the color temp and intensity with a built in timer. I also love that I can create a gorgeous shimmer if I adjust the outtakes to ripple the water at the surface, or aim them down to give me a more calm look. They're fantastic lights, but expensive...

I wouldn't say I've hit a pitfall in using a sump. It's easier to clean, and can be configured in tons of ways. It boosts the water volume of the system, hides equipment, and provides a isolation area if needed. If I had to choose an annoyance, I'd say that it increases the evaporation in the system. But it's not that annoying. I never have low water in the DT like I had when using canisters.

I would imagine you would have to increase your co2 to accommodate the increased outgassing when using a sump, but I'm not sure by how much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
88 posts and nobody mentions the gorgeous lighting.. sheesh..;)

Thanks! I love the halos. The only gripe I have with them is that the moon phase leaves a bit to be desired. The moon cycle lights are too warm for my liking. I wish they were cooler.

Also, the moon phase is automatically set at 10% or so of whatever intensity you have the lights set at. A little rigid for my taste, but overall, they're fantastic lights.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awesome build, aquascape and post! I really like the sump set up and am thinking of doing something similar on my 90P. Thanks for sharing the info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Awesome build, aquascape and post! I really like the sump set up and am thinking of doing something similar on my 90P. Thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you found it helpful!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wow awesome build and DIY you're giving me a few ideas.

Most people who bad mouth HMF's and poret foam have never used it. It is awesome stuff and mine has never clogged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Wow awesome build and DIY you're giving me a few ideas.

Most people who bad mouth HMF's and poret foam have never used it. It is awesome stuff and mine has never clogged.

Thank you! Agreed! It's ridiculously easy to clean, great at mechanical, and phenomenal at biological filtration. I'd have a hard time going back to any other filtration media.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I third the poret foam! Working great so far and the water is crystal clear! I do wonder if my system could handle 45ppi foam in addition to my current 10, 20, & 30ppi foam with 900ish gph.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Any updates about this tank @fokestn? This is one of my favorite builds, would love to know how it's doing!

Thank you Fishbeard!! However, I must confess. About 2 months ago, I took a different direction with the tank. I was struggling getting the balance right on the ferts/lighting, etc.. Some sort of disease that I treated for over a month wiped out most of my angels... at that point, I decided on a reboot.

I've kept cichlids for over a decade, and realized that they may be the right fish for me at this time. Not giving up on a planted tank, but postponing my efforts for now.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thank you Fishbeard!! However, I must confess. About 2 months ago, I took a different direction with the tank. I was struggling getting the balance right on the ferts/lighting, etc.. Some sort of disease that I treated for over a month wiped out most of my angels... at that point, I decided on a reboot.

I've kept cichlids for over a decade, and realized that they may be the right fish for me at this time. Not giving up on a planted tank, but postponing my efforts for now.

I've never been much of a fan of cichlids, but yours is the first tank I actually like with them! Have you changed the sump at all them since you got rid of the plants?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 114 Posts