The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I don't have any pics yet, (have to paint the wall behind the tank first) so I am mostly making this thread because I am a little excited. I just ordered the last of my equipment. (I'm sure you understand).

So, here are the specs.

Tank: 48 Gallon (48x12x18) Yes, it is a 55 footprint, but for 20 bucks I couldn't pass it up. It has a thick black rim all the way around (Top and sides), which I actually like. (a bit like mounting pictures on black paper)

Background: Standard black aquarium background.

Lighting: Odyssea 2 bulb T5 HO (Puts me in either the medium or high light range depending on how much truth their is to the stories about terrible ballasts)

Filtration: Via Aqua 750 canister. I took a risk buying this used, since most have not heard of it, but I'm quite happy. Very quiet and tons of media capacity.

CO2: Just ordered a regulator kit from btimmer. Very excited. Still have to get the tank, but I am thinking a 10#. Just a cheap ebay diffuser for now, may make a reactor later!

Substrate: Shultz aquatic soil. Cheap, high CEC, and I actually like the red colour!

Plants:
Alternanthera reineckii
Bacopa Australis
Glosso ( I like it over HC for the 'wild' look.)
Ludwiga Arcuata
Micro Sword
Rotala sp. "Nanjenshan" (mayaca)

Fish:

My common pleco, until he gets too big. :(
4 corydoras.
10-12 of some type of small schooling fish (I was thinking cardinals, but they always die on me) Suggestions?

A pair of Rams. Can't beat the personality.
Something else? I know I'm getting up their in stocking, but I don't think I'm at the limit yet.

So that's about it. Any glaring errors here? Anything I am missing? Plant/fish suggestions/advice.

Will post pics as soon as its up. (Probably this weekend as it is thanksgiving long weekend up north ;) )

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
246 Posts
For fish you could always get a good algae eater like an Otocinclus catfish. Harlequin Rasbora school nicely and are often over looked but they have some color on their dorsal fins if you look closely enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depending on your pleco it might chow down on some of the plants. As far as schooling fish rummynose are cool. I also like rainbow furcatas or Celebes rainbows, however they don't school quite as nicely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pleco has never bothered my current plants. He 'cleans' them, which I thought might be nibbling, but they have never looked worse for wear. (at least not from him)

Good suggestion on the Corys. I was a little hesitant to even put them on there since I thought people might say my "sharp" substrate was unsuitable, but I have never had a problem before, so we will see.

Yah, I have a few harlequins. I will definitely consider that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.