The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a before shot:

The tank was an algae bomb. It got ten times worse after this picture. I inherited the tank from a buddy. It had plain gravel, no fertilizers being used but good filtration and lighting.

I completely tore down the tank yesterday.

Here is the shot this morning after the redo:

Now, the substrate is a local brand of oil-dry that is pure clay. I am using DIY co2.

I had to trash all the plants that were in the tank except the huge patch of java lace fern that is on the right.

I got 10 mondo grass and 12 hornwort to add to it. I plan on getting a bunch of hair grass to do a lawn in the open space.

There are 4 harlequin rasboras, a cherry barb and a neon that came with the tank in there right now. (the eheim canister filter was left with water in it and circulating from a bucket of old tank water while the tank was torn down to preserve the biological filtration).

Plans for livestock are to find someone to take the cherry barb, get 8 more harlies and some cherry shrimp.

Hope you like it!

Steven

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I love them! I will probably do 8 more in a month then another 6 or so a month later.

The cool thing is they are pretty, they school and they are only $1.99 each. :)

I want a set of lily pipes, but, I just can't justify the cost. I might attempt a set of wasserpipes. Plus, I HATE the eheim hose! It's way too stiff to work with. I plan on getting black 1/2" hose from Lowe's and use it. I have used it on my reef stuff before and it works well and won't let light in.

I also have the stuff to make the heater inline and plan on getting to that this week. as well as adding a power head with the CO2 going into it.

Steven

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant. It will rot in a few weeks, I promise you. :( I think you should take it out and replace it with dwarf sagitarria, if you like that grassy look. Most box pet stores sell dwarf sag.

Good choice of fish! I love the trigonostigma species.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant. It will rot in a few weeks, I promise you. :( I think you should take it out and replace it with dwarf sagitarria, if you like that grassy look. Most box pet stores sell dwarf sag.

Good choice of fish! I love the trigonostigma species.
Since dantimdad lives in Alabama, it might survive the winter in the front yard. It's an awesome garden plant.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, thanks to Masosaur, I now have about 25 dwarf sag and about 10 italian vals.

The tank looks awesome even though it's cloudy right now from planting.

I lost one rasbora. He jumped from the holding bucket when I did the teardown. He just never was the same. I am keeping the Cherry Barb and the neon for the forseeable future. I have someone holding 12 more harlequin rasbora for me until the first of January so the tank can settle down.

What algae eaters do you all think I should get? Shrimp? Ottos? Both?

I will take pics either later tonight or in the morning.

Steven

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.