The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started a 40b in April. It is a community tank that I started mainly because I wanted some angelfish and my 15 wasn't going to work for them.

Equipment:
Filter- eheim 2217
Light- finnex fugeray 36"
Heater-eheim jäger
CO2- none

Plants:
Crypt spiralis
Anlernanthrea reinekii
Ludwigia sp. red
Jungle Val
Java fern
Annubias nana
Echinodorus Vesuvius
Nymphoides Taiwan
Xmas moss
Hygrophila angustifolia
Rotala rotundifolia
Dwarf water lettuce
Duckweed

Fauna:
2x veiled angelfish
2x diamond tetra
2x bloodfin tetra
1x scissortail rasbora
3x otocinclus
1xnerite snail

Ferts:
I dose ei ferts but only 1 x a week since I don't use co2
Excel Sat,sun,tue,thurs

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it is today (sorry about the reflection):

I ripped out the Val's 1 by 1 because they kept getting bad looking prob due to the excel, and replaced that corner with hygrophila angustifolia.

Here is the driftwood I was hoping to use but it wouldn't sink, so I will probably rescape if and when it sinks( it is soaking in a sterilite and is definitely less buoyant).

Hopefully this will sink sometime in the next few months.
I am also considering switching to a dark substrate like eco complete or aquasoil.
I also may get a co2 system someday but I think I have put enough money into this for now so I am going to enjoy low tech as long as I can.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rescape 9/8:
I ended up buying some manzanita from plantbrain a while ago and it has been soaking for a few weeks. I bought 3 bags of eco complete to change out the light substrate. Today was the day for the tank overhaul. I took out the fish, ripped out all plants, drained, changed substrate, and switched out the Malaysian for some manzanita. Some of my plants have really gone downhill since the last tank shot. I was/am having an algae issue. For some reason my hygro pinnatifida completely melted and disintegrated over a few weeks.

Hopefully I will have the rest of what I need by next weekend to start pressurized co2. With this in mind, I left some plants out during my rescape to have some room for a few new ones. I also hope the co2 will help with my algae problem and make some of my crap looking plants recover ( alternanthera, ludwigia sp red, crypt nurii). If they are too far gone, ill rip them out after a few weeks.

Here's the new look:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally have all the parts for my co2 set up delivered, just have to get my tank filled tomorrow and I'll try to get it set up tomorrow night so I can try to dial in the correct amount over the weekend.
Equipment:
5lb tank
Aquariumplants.com carbon doser
Rhinox 2000 diffuser
Glass drop checker

Any tips for first time co2 user?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I ended up with an algae outbreak shortly after my rescape and all my plants were covered in this:

A month or so later, it is mostly under control. I still have some algae issues but not near as bad. Green hair algae showed up on my rotala. Here's the tank today. I added some new plants..ludwigia Atlantis in the middle, hydrocotyle Japan, and 1 stem of rotala mini butterfly I'm trying to grow but you really can't see it in the pic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A pic from yesterday. Starting to get bba on my Monte Carlo up front. Not too happy about that. I can deal with it on driftwood and rocks, but hate when it gets on plants. I am going to try to do an additional water change each week to see if it helps matters with the hair algae and bba.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Looks great !!!
Considering what sized tank it is, I would add 5 more of each of those Tetra's.
5-7 more Nerite snails would cut the amount of algae. Just love the way they sell them on the Bay. You can get 1 for $3.95+ shipping or 20 for $19.95...nothing in-between ?
I've heard that the SAE's eat BBA also.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Man that tank looks awesome. I hate when algae shows up out of nowhere :icon_sad: I had a tank looking perfect too and then all of a sudden algae moved in but I tried dark cobras method with h2o2 and It killed bba and green hair algae.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since the start of my journal I lost an oto to jumping, both bloodfins(one to jumping one bloated and died), scissortail got sucked into gravel vac, and the nerite died a few days ago.
Also added a Bolivian ram and gold ram.

I do want to add more tetras. The petco I got the diamonds at seems to have quit carrying them.
I have been wanting to get a small school of rummynose or cardinals for a long time, that's why my tank doesn't have very many fish. I think I am going to have to order online.
I was thinking about more nerites but I don't think they eat the types of algae that are pestering me the most.

I have been thinking about the h2o2 method or even just spot treating with it, I am just afraid to pull the trigger because I am worried about my livestock.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New pic

Haven't been updating for a while.... Tank hasn't changed much. Everything's just about the same just grown in more. I trim once a week with my water change. I added some needle leaf Java to the driftwood that maybe wasn't there last pic. Still have BBA problems( just kind of learned to live with it) and a few patches here and there of what I think might be cladophora. I remove what I can see once in a while.
Since the last update a few more fish have been added. I tore down my 15 and added the fish from it to this tank. 5 neons, a Cory, and a rasbora. I am not sure if the cory survived though, I never see it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here it is today (sorry about the reflection):

I ripped out the Val's 1 by 1 because they kept getting bad looking prob due to the excel, and replaced that corner with hygrophila angustifolia.

Here is the driftwood I was hoping to use but it wouldn't sink, so I will probably rescape if and when it sinks( it is soaking in a sterilite and is definitely less buoyant).

Hopefully this will sink sometime in the next few months.
I am also considering switching to a dark substrate like eco complete or aquasoil.
I also may get a co2 system someday but I think I have put enough money into this for now so I am going to enjoy low tech as long as I can.
You can try drilling holes below the wood that touches the glass and put a tie suction cups with zip ties. You can bury it under with gravel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.