·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, gutted the tank and sent all the old inhabitants to live with friends. haha

37 Gallon tank
fluval 4 plus internal filter.
150W stealth heater

lighting is kinda weird... I took an old reptile heat fixture and put power compact incandescent bulbs into and mounted it onto the ceiling... (see pics below)

current residents are 8 gold occelatus and 12 kohaku swordtails. It worked out to be 11 females and 1 lone male... poor fella

for right now I only have some bamboo in the back, hopefully tuesday will result in some java fern and monoselenium

i need to figure how many watts per gallon i have since the lights are some distance from the tank... about 8 inches or so...

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
i need to figure how many watts per gallon i have since the lights are some distance from the tank... about 8 inches or so...
Wpg is based on output of T12 bulbs. The smaller the bulb the more light you have. The best lights for non Co2 tank are the T5NO (normal output).

For every inch light distance from substrate increased there is a intensity reduced 15%. This is only good when the distance between the light and the substrate is more than 10 inches or so. As you get still closer to the bulb the inverse square relationship changes to more like a direct relationship to distance. And, the more bulbs you have above the tank, the sooner it becomes a direct relationship. Hoppy

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Nice rock work! You cant have a good tank without it in my opinion! Do you\will you add any plants?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!
as far as plants i'm ordering some stuff for the shop... i'm thinking java fern and monoselenium, maybe a bit of java moss on the rocks and wood to tie things together...

hopefully i get it in by friday

F

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Those plants would look good! Have you thought about Anubias?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. I hate livebearers. Lost a few swordtails this morning. Perfect water parameters. Livebearers are the WORST!I better get some friggin babies quick or I'm gonna have to spend loot on more fish.

:grumble:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Atleast you don't have a 40gal Breeder break last night causing you to spend the rest of the night/day setting up a 125gal....And then find out the new lids/lights you bought and spent so much on are too small...and you only have 18 EXPENSIVE Columbian Tetras instead of the 20 leaving 2, MIA.

And having to move the rest of your tanks to a new room, before you FINALLY move them to their intended, fish room. :icon_evil

Ugh, it's been one of those weeks...atleast I got a promotion @ work! ;)

Good luck with your tank tho! :)

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.