The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ^^. This is my first post here. I've recently assembled a 35G planted tank that I want to share. The tank is in its second week. The picture below was after pruning this yesterday.

Tank specs
Substrate: ECO
Lighting: DIY two, 2xODNO T12 Daylights
Filtration: XP2
CO2: Pressurized system

I've been having a 'problem' with my KH reading in the tank. My tap water reads 6 KH but my tank water is 10-12 KH. I'm not sure what's causing this. I also had about a week of white cloudy water when I set up the tank w/o plants. Once I had plants in it though, the water cleared up a day or so after. I read from numerous forums, including this one, that it might be the eco so I'll be checking my phosphates tomorrow :(. Oh, the tank doesn't have any rocks or driftwood. I kinda like how the tank look with just plants ^^. Anyways, in new to this hobby so please, criticize, comment and even bash ^^; Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yep, it's the eco. :) i used to use the stuff and switched to aquasoil. i had the same problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that you mention it danepatrick, I've been looking at the nitrate and phosphate relationship within planted tanks. If I do have high phosphates from eco (haven't checked yet >.<), I was thinking of adding more nitrates for the plants. A few days after i started the tank, my frogbit showed signs of yellowing leaves. A few days later, my cyperus helferi also showed yellow leaves. During the weekend, I found a few leaves of my samolus covered with cyanobacteria.... ; ;. I'm thinking the combination of high phosphates and the lack of nitrate is causing this. Do you guys have any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got bored of writing my report so I took a shot of my tank in the dark. It's lit by 2 ccfl lamps. I had to run it at 5 V to get it dim enough. There are a lot of bubbles trapped by surface scum that's why the top is so bright. Back to the report...

·
Registered
137 Posts
the night shot is awesome! I was going to do LED's since I've use them quite a bit in the past- but I'm totally going cold cathode!
Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Your tank is beautiful! I can't wait to see it with the foreground grown in. :)

The Eco in my 29g raised my KH as well...haven't checked my phosphates either though...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi, I'm just posting an update to the tank. There's a lot of growth in the tank. I also just started EI dosing. There are a few inhabitants in the tank as well.

PasD: The dimension of the tank is 36x12.5x18. The foreground is made of HC and glosso.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts