1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently setup this nano tank :
Dimensions : 31 x 19 x 26cm/12 x 7 x 10 inch
Probable volume : 14 l./3 gal. (4 US gal.)
Lighting : DIY 36W Philips 865 PL-L
Substrate : Powersand S size + ADA Aquasoil Africana
Filter : HOB
CO2 : DIY
Plants : Marsilea minuta, Anubias nana 'petite', Mini Bolbitis, Blyxa japonica and Flame Moss. Yet to be planted Eleocharis vivipara at the back.

Hardscape and initial planting

Close up

Final

Comments? Suggestions? Anything..appreciate it. :)

Regards

·
Registered
803 Posts
I like it. It reminds me of parts of my creeks where a branch has fallen and plants have grown over it, reclaiming it for Ma Nature. Can't wait to see it when the hairgrass is in and growing!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Thank you all for the feedbacks.

I am still considering if I want to plant E. vivipara at the back. Since I got it free from a friend, perhaps I could give it a try, just to see the growth, never planted this grass before ;).

Anyway, what is your opinion on the lighting, 36 watts PL-L, about 5 inch above, is it too much? And also could somebody tell me where I could find the information on the mini Bolbitis on the net. Really appreciate it.

Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Thank you for looking and the feedbacks.

I am thinking to post the update of this tank after a month, on the 25th June, but by looking at the progress of this tank, I think, not much different between now and then, LOL...Marsilea sp., only a few growth, Anubias nana 'petite', one new leaf, mini Bolbitis is doing nothing!, hahaha..besides the Blyxa, the flame moss is the fastest growing plant in this tank, and thats tells a lot...LOL..

The whole setup...

Front..

I know, I have a problem, BBA on the driftwood, apparently, I do not scrap hard enough the BBA infested driftwood from the previous setup to remove it, LOL...SAE? Excel? mmm..

Regards

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow that's an awesome looking tank. I recommend a few amanos, and starving him. He'll hopefully eat your BBA and not the flame moss because amano's a notorious for eating moss. I wouldn't recommend SAE in such a small tank but maybe you could get a young one and put it in there until the BBA is eaten then remove him. Just make sure your CO2 is high and stable, otherwise it'll just come back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
DAYUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a dream tank!!!!!!!!!!

If ya dont mind my asking... how big was the hole that this tank burnt in your pocket?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

Thank you for looking :)

Marsilea sp. growth as captured in a week, LOL. I am not sure which Marsilea I am growing, could be Marsilea minuta or then again could be Marsilea hirsuta according to Topica.dk or even Marsilea crenata.. :icon_roll

On 16th June 2007

Two days later

A day later

A week later

Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Little battle I had with BBA in this nano tank.

The BBA that was on the driftwood from the previous setup, flourishing in this tank.

Done the spot treatment with Flourish Excel, 1ml each time, turning white after only a day. And here comes the SAE, to eat the 'soften' BBA.

Slowly eaten, the BBA, I mean..at the same time dosing 0.5ml Flourish Excel everyday.

Finally, after over a week, BBA no more, LOL.

I did it by applying it directly to the BBA using this dispenser.

A very useful tool, I can make sure the amount of Excel to dose as the dispenser have some markings, 0.25ml, 0.5ml and 1ml..In a way, I overdosed 2X (have been dosing 1ml in the period of a week instead of 0.5ml daily as per dosing instruction).

The battle is over but the war is not. I have to remedy the root causes, the unstable CO2 supply from DIY CO2, IMO. I am thinking of supplement it with Flourish Excel, dosing 0.5ml daily or every other day, 2ml at WC (as the dosing instruction says, 5ml/200L daily, 5ml/40L at WC). Eventually, I am thinking of using only Flourish Excel as carbon source for this nano tank (too lazy to make the mixture, too lazy to clean the glass diffuser, etc etc, LOL). A 500ml bottle of Flourish Excel would last for a long time, well, at least according to my calculations :)

Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Removed the vivipara, planted some Didiplis at the back, not much though, not enough space, LOL.

Closer view.

Some pearling...

Yup, with some green dust algae too, it is very difficult to clean the glass of this nano tank, so far cannot find nano size magnetic scrapper, LOL.

Current fish is a SAE. Soon a Otto. Any suggestion for the fish, schooling nano fish?

Regards

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
scarlet badis would be my choice for nano-fish. Also, what is that thing attached to the uptake tube on your filter? I am very curious as to what it is (it comes out the side and then goes up).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.