The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these tanks + stand last weekend at a flea market for only $30 together.
i am a little worried about the seals since they look worn and thin. I did fill both tanks up and I saw no problem, but I just want to be sure. Here are some pictures, they are not that great.

I want to be safe and add another layer of silicone. First off, can I just apply silicone directly or do i have to scrap the old stuff off? And Second, What type and brand of silicone should I use?

thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I want to be safe and add another layer of silicone. First off, can I just apply silicone directly or do i have to scrap the old stuff off? And Second, What type and brand of silicone should I use?
To make a completely secure tank you'll have to remove the inside layers completely with a razor blade,(do not stick the razorblade into the seam between 2 pieces of glass or you'll have a split that can continue with the water pressure once filled).

Then use rubbing achohol/cloth to clean the surface where the new silicone is to go.

Then, when dry, apply a single continuos bead of clear silicone from a gun type tube (buy at local hardware store) to a single length of glass and press into the seam with your finger or use a tounge depressor/ or rounded putty knife.

If done correctly your tank should look just like a new tank on the seams you chose to redo.

Allow to dry for about 2 days for maximum effectiveness of holding water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.