The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had so much fun building and learning with my first pond . I started a 2nd pond in the same summer.

I hand dug this hole in the ground approx 2800G plus water fall, total water volume will be 3000G. 6 weeks of digging in the middle of summer. I wont' do that again. I think I will spring for back haul if I ever dig another pond. No more yard left anyway.

Liner is in

full of water

rough in of the water fall about 4' high but I need to lower it, testing water flow. Need to redesign in the spring.

How it looked in the fall with leaf netting.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on Koi. Not that many, I generally understock tanks and ponds. I plan on getting good quality Koi at about 6". I can get imported from Japan locally or drive to a Breeder in Toronto. I'm no Koi expert but like the look of Koi in a pond.

The pond is almost 5' deep in the middle and most ponds if 30" deep in Canada will allow you to overwinter the fish under the ice.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks like you've got a good start, are you planning on doing higher end koi (they can get pretty pricey!)? Or just a nice "natural" pond with koi in it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, winter's gone, so I started work again.

I'm working on the filter system before I add fish and landscape it, everything in the pics will be hidden eventually but getting the water flow right now is much easier without landscaping in the way. Few pic's of what's been done.

Drained the pond cleaned a bit and refilled it. nice and clear right now, see right to the bottom.

Filtering plans changed a bit. I tested gravity return with 2" flex pvc return from 55G barrel and flow was crap. Not enough head height to get good flow. I decided I would bottom feed the barrel with 1.5" and then let it gravity return into 60G preformed water fall return. You can see barrel at the top and black preformed with spillway that dumps into the waterfall collecting basin.

I decided to go with dual pressurized and unpressurized solution so I took the 1.5" pump flex pvc and split it into 2 (planning on 3rd split later if I need it) one feed goes to pressurized filter with 9 watt UV that I can turn on. This should help filter out suspended stuff. the other split goes up the hill to the barrel filter that feeds the water fall. I can control the flow to each split with ball valve's inline. Very easy to put more through the pressurized or vice versa.

I'm thinking the barrel filter with scrubby pads and 60G pre-formed will quilt batting will be biological filter and have slower turn rate pushed through it.

top of barrel

top of 60G return with spill way

picture from first pond showing where the 2nd pond is located. kinda thinkg I went pond crazy last year but should look good once it's all landscaped and has fish in both ponds. My first pond overwintered very well all fish survived under the ice just fine.

Next step is likely add fish and place order for $$$ flagstone to get delivered.

Planning on adding floating skimmer and pump on a timer to keep stuff off the bottom, add better pre-filter to the pump. possible upgrade 2500GPH pump to 3600GPH.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered 1 ton of flagstone to my house for this week, that should be fun to move to the backyard.
I decided since I have a tree over part of the pond that a floating skimmmer would be a good idea. Thought I would roll the dice on this floating skimmmer off of ebay, not sure who makes it but floats around and skimmers at 660GPH should clean up the surface well enough.

I also added 3 small Koi (3" each) to have something swimming around. Waiting on more orders of Koi to buy some bigger better quality Koi in a couple weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi,
I have been ponding for almost 23 years. I learnered early on that a pond is like living art, as it is always changing. Looks like your having fun :) IMHO you do not need a uv light. All you need is filtration and a lot of floaters. You will fiind that they will provide shaded areas in your pond which becomes importanyt when fighting off all types of algea, especially with having fun sun most of the day. My pond gets full sun for about 4 hours a day, is algea free & clear as a bell.
happy ponding
Regards,
Aquaticz

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree my first pond, had no aglae and 80% plants. The UV is off unless I need it. It's in the filter anyway. This pond may only get 4-6 hours of direct sun due to a tree which should also keep algae away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started the laying the flag stone, may need more than 1 Ton, since I wanted to have a walk way all the way around of flag stone. Pond had a huge algae blooom that cleared on its own. Can see right to the botom now so clarity is good. Added Tetrapond DHP at 3600 GPH and will use 2500GPH pump in timed bursts to circulate stuff on the bottom into the water column for the other pump to pick up.

Added 2 more $20 Koi to the pond so I have a total of 5 now, all the fish seem to love the depth and stay at about 4' down all the time. Waiting for pond stores to start carrying plants to add lilliles and floating plants.

I made a flagstone bridge over the inlet from the falls basin to the main pond .

Added floating skimmer which works really well, clears the surface in an hour or so.

Water fall needs more rocks, still some sitting on the drive way.
Water fall basin before it drains into the main pond, it's about 8"-10" deep.

Pictures of the new KOI, they are too deep to get a good shot

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.