The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I haven't had a stable place to live in a few years so I couldn't keep an aquarium until last October. My dad brought down my equipment from st louis:
Fluval 305; 29 Gallon Walmart special with 98.00 stand; 2 coralife dual NO T5 one freshwater; one saltwater; coralife power center. I didn't have any substrate because I couldn't find any LFS's with Ecocomplete or anything comparible.

I can't do a photobucket account right now because it is blocked from my work..:biggrin: so I only have pictures on my profile... scratch that edit:

My tank with hardscape and plants... lol no substrate:

My tank after adding substrate:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Current species: Wisteria; rotala sp. vietnam; Glossostigma; mexican oak leaf.
Just made order for:
Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')
Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
Baby Tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides)
Petite Nana (Anubias Pygmy Nana)

and 15 CRS

Most recent pic:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I hear you on the not having a stable place to live...in the last five years, I don't even want to count how many times I have broken down fish tanks to move them. It's a pain!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just added 9 cardinals/removed danios and betta. Adding CRS in a few days!

Yeah, I finally think I'm gonna be somewhere for a while. NO MOVING! DO YOU HERE THAT KATIE, WE AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Like it! IMO a 29 is the perfect sized tank. Everytime I see one I imagine all kinds of aquascapes! Wierd that I never owned one. Please keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I have kept a couple planted tanks before but never dosed ferts or injected c02... I am on this tank.. and obviously this is making a huge difference. I'm actually just using DIY C02.

I fertilize three times a week. Monday I dose Seachem Florish. Wed I dose Potassium and Iron (API Leaf Zone). I'm about to start dosing Kent Pro Plant which has Nitrates, Boron, Magnesium, and something else..hehe.

I'm not going to dose the Kent until I get a real good feel for the Nitrate levels.. just bought a Nitrate test kit today. I just got cardinals and CRS which is what prompted me to buy the Nitrate test kit because I'm extremely paranoid of killing off some kinda expensive cardinals and shrimp. Will check Nitrate levels tonight after I get off work and dose if necessary.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much Nitrates I can safely have with Nitrate death prone species?

·
Registered
77 Posts
"My dream tank: 100 gallon brackish riparium archerfish tank, ONE DAY!"

I, too, have that dream. I have lived half of that dream, with a 90gal semi-low tech. It was nice, although a pain to maintain:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1179/p0000965.jpg

I'd like the next incarnation to be in a 110X, though.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, right on, I can't view the pic from here but I can't wait to check it out when I get off.

Yeah, I'm no where near that dream at the moment but sounds fantastic. I'm actually thinking paladarium not riparium but either one would be cool. Just dump some crickets on the land portion and have a screen or glass top. I was also thinking I could get one of those really tall aquariums and make it look sweet with 2 or 3 Archerfish.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many new plants getting established and cardinals added.

Still using crappy cell phone for camera. The Rotala Magenta is much more red and brilliant than this photo expresses.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm very happy and surprised to say that all my new plants are doing great! It took about three weeks but my rotala sp. Vietnam has really made a comeback. I also got some rotala magenta which I was sure would not do well or grow green but it is coming in even redder than it arrived and already has sideshoots after only one week. Cryptocorne wendetii red started growing as soon as it hit the tank. My Glosso is finally starting to carpet and the HC I just put in the tank is over melt stage and starting to get real green.:icon_eek::):eek5::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I am planning to move to Florida next year and have a 29 gallon tank. Perhaps you can give me some pointers on how to avoid disaster?

I thinking I will set the tank up in my mother's home until I get settled. Will use Eco-complete over mineralized substrate so that I will only need 1 bag.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm no pro at keeping a successful tank by far. But one mistake I see with many 29's is not taking advantage of the height of the tank. I'd highly recommend a nice grate or anything that helps make the tank look more three dimensional.

Also if you are going to Florida you might consider a native tank. There are many nice plants and fish you could go with that are native to Florida. Paul Sachs is a cool guy that has a bunch of captive bred natives down there. :proud:

Oh, yeah, and 29's make great paladariums and ripariums because of their height.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I hear you on the not having a stable place to live...in the last five years, I don't even want to count how many times I have broken down fish tanks to move them. It's a pain!
Next year I will be moving to Tampa, Florida area from Ga. It will be a while before I get a stable place. Any advise on how to make a tank easy to break down?

Love the white sand. What type is it?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next year I will be moving to Tampa, Florida area from Ga. It will be a while before I get a stable place. Any advise on how to make a tank easy to break down?

Love the white sand. What type is it?
It's pool filter sand. Very cheap....

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Any advise on how to make a tank easy to break down?
I had to move 4 times in a 3 year period, so I feel like an expert on this matter! :biggrin:

Basically, my advice is to of course make sure you will be able to remove the fish/shrimp to another container right before the move. Don't ever try to move them in the tank (I've done it before, and while it was successful, the fish were freaked out because of the sloshing water and substrate moving all over the place in transit. Never again).

Then, if you have tall stem plants, you will more than likely want to remove them as well, to avoid snapping the stems and/or just making a mess. Stems are so easy to plant/pull/replant that it's just lazy NOT to pull them out ahead of time. Just wrap them up in wet newspaper and transport them the way you would if you were packaging up plants to ship through the swap n shop.

Most rosette plants and carpet plants (even the stem kinds) will not skip a beat, so leave them alone. Then what you do is drain all the water out of the tank using a regular 3/8" gravel vac hose until there's only like an inch or so left. THEN what you do is use a much skinnier tube, like airline tubing, to get the rest of the water out. What I do is prop the tank up slightly so that all the remaining water will accumulate in one corner, then siphon that out with the airline tubing.

At this point you pretty much have all the sloshable water out of there. You will want to keep this water in a 5 gal bucket or something, so you can throw your filter media in there and keep it alive. This is assuming you are quickly going to be hopping in the car and heading down to Tampa. Obviously the bacteria will start to die off if it isn't oxygenated, but most people's estimates on how quickly that happens are wrong, IMO. I wouldn't go much longer than 12 hours or so, and that is with occasional stirring/shaking of the 5g bucket so that some oxygen gets dissolved here and there during the trip. It might just be easier to use a battery-operated pump like fishermen use on the boat.

Then, you of course must cover the top of the 10g aquarium with some plastic saran wrap or something else that will keep the humidity in there at close to 100%. You could just, during every bathroom break you take on the way down, just open the saran wrap and mist the plants down with water, which will help out a lot.

Then you get to your destination and you set it all back up again!

(Sorry to hijack the thread, anastasis!)

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I had to move 4 times in a 3 year period, so I feel like an expert on this matter! :biggrin:

Then, you of course must cover the top of the 10g aquarium with some plastic saran wrap or something else that will keep the humidity in there at close to 100%.
Hmm!! This is one thing I didn't think of. I will probably put plants and substrate in a bucket and then cover it with plastic

Thanks!!

Please excuse us anastasis. I am just so worried about the move.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, I don't really mind. If you are super paranoid about the bacteria dying you can buy a portable (battery run) airater. I use to use them to transport native fish I collected from streams. I wish my spell check could fix my: airater..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts