The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never done a tank journal so lets hope this goes ok.

29 Gallon Setup:

Equipment
AquaticLife 2x24w T5HO
Eheim 2215
GLA Supreme Regulator w/5lbs Tank. The Shrimp Lab in-line diffuser
EI dosing
Seachem Flourite Dark

Plants
Still learning what plants are what, so I dont really know what I have:icon_redf

Fish
[STRIKE]Blue Dragon Betta?[/STRIKE] R.I.P.
4 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Otto's
[STRIKE]1 Juli Cory[/STRIKE] R.I.P.

Full tank shot from a few days ago

And heres my first Betta. Im really liking him. Much more personality than the other FW fish Ive had. Wish I could have more!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About a week ago I noticed my 29 has a crack in one of the seams on the back panel. So, I figured Id take this opportunity to upgrade to a 55, even though I promised the wife that I wouldnt upgrade!!! :icon_twis

Ill be moving all the equipment, plants and fish to the new tank, but need to get some more Flourite and Ill have to upgrade my light before I can make the switch.

Heres the crack

And heres the new tank. This time I went with a black background instead of blue. Black seems to bring out the colors a bit better than the blue does.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got few things from the mailman today! Woohoo! I probably wont hook up the skimmer and heater untill I switch the tanks.

Some sad news though. Lost my last Juli Cory. Woke up this morning to see him dead on the gravel. Something must have been wrong with them, parasite, disease? I only had them for a about 3 months. They all looked healthy and would eat every day, then they would just die.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Wow... what a bummer... that betta was amazing looking, sorry to hear about that, if you don't like glass tops but still want protection look into setting up a net on top with magnets on the 4 corners, there are several breeders in cali that are nice, but i like my imports more

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow... what a bummer... that betta was amazing looking, sorry to hear about that, if you don't like glass tops but still want protection look into setting up a net on top with magnets on the 4 corners, there are several breeders in cali that are nice, but i like my imports more
Yeah Im definitely gonna do something. Ive seen a few people that have built window screen frames but put in netting instead of the screen. Look pretty easy to make too.

Your fish looks great. Id love to import one from Thailand but Ive never done it before. How exactly does it work? Ive seen some stuff about having to use a trans shipper but dont really know what that means.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
yeah trans shipping, very expensive but that betta in my pic is a wild halfmoon king, I got him as a baby and he is now 3 inches and growing... got a very good offer on him so I'd say its worth it if you get a good betta, i love this guy so he is staying. be careful when getting a wild fish though, quarantine is key

i'll see if my club knows a good breeder here in cali and i'll let you know

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to Home Depot today and picked up some stuff to build a screen for the new tank. Worked out pretty good.

Total cost was $25

Measured and chopped up. Remember to subtract about and an inch from the final measurement because of the plastic elbows that connect all pieces.

My helper decided to take a nap

To finish, I laid the frame on top of the netting, jammed in the rubber seal, then cut the frame out of the netting and was done. Only took an hour.

and on the tank

·
Registered
500 Posts
How do u go about getting your imports?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Transfer complete and new Betta!

Been slacking on the updates so Ill have a lot to show in the next few days. I finally got my new light and the bag of Flourite I needed so I got the transfer done last weekend!

Edit: Anyone know how good these "Rosate" bulbs are? Are they better than having another 6K-10K bulb?

Got some new roommates for the tank! A Half-Moon Betta, Gold Nugget Pleco and some Celestial Pearl Danios!

Lights will be on within the hour so Ill get some pics up once they do!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pics of the new fish! Im planning on adding a school of Julii Cories (6-8) and Cardinal Tetras (10-15) in the next few weeks to finish out the stocking list.

Bought this guy from The Betta Shop. They have a great selection of Bettas and their customer service was excellent. They import new fish twice a month so theyre always getting new stuff. Its a great alternative if you want a Betta from Thailand but dont want to deal with the trans-shipping. Check em out at http://www.mnbettashop.com/

Half-Moon Plakat. Hes pretty similar in colors to the last one. But doesnt have the cool red break in his mask.

Gold Nugget Pleco - L018

Also got 11 Celestial Pearl Danios (trying to get a non-blurry pic but their freakin fast)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also want to build a net but for one of my nano tank but it doesn't have that black plastic frame on it. So I believe I need some kinda a tiny stand support.

What kind of material do I need to build one net frame?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also want to build a net but for one of my nano tank but it doesn't have that black plastic frame on it. So I believe I need some kinda a tiny stand support.

What kind of material do I need to build one net frame?
I built mine out of window screen frame. Youll need the frame, rubber seal, the tool to jam in the rubber seal, frame connectors and some netting. I got everything minus the netting in the Window Screen section at Home Depot. The netting was in the garden center.

If that wont work, you might try what shrimpNewbie said with the netting and magnets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.