The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had these guys for a while sitting on my desk in a 10g hex, and was advised that I really should have 10g per goldfish, so I upped.
I've had good luck w/ java sword so far, and just added val, they seem to pretty much be ignoring them so far.
I like this just as is, but as usual, want to always liven things up a bit.
Wondering what else I may be able to add?
Also, this tank is w/out heater, so I need to keep that in mind.
Would cherry shrimp deal w/ this?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats the 10gal right? I like the first pic. The fish look cute. I agree they need to be in a larger aquarium. Ive been reading about goldfish too because i want to put a goldfish tank in my babys nursery when it comes as a nighlight and humidifier.
Ive read min 30 gal tank for 1 adult and then 10gal for each additional goldfish afterwards.
Mind you I used to keep goldfish and my mom kept them when my brother and I were very young. She had a 15 gal tank with 5 comets in it. They lived for years and years and the tank was clean (from what ive been told). In my old tank, before i knew any better, I kept 3 fancys and 10 comets in a 20 gal for 2 years before I gave them away.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank in pic is actually the new 20g.
One I believe is a shubumkin(sp?) and the other I think a comet.
There's no room to go bigger on my desk, so they will have to do w/ this, and I'll keep good on filtration and WC's.

·
Registered
720 Posts
noticed your thinking about cherry shrimp. Im just sayin that they would be an awsome yet expensive snack for those fishies :)

I wouldnt add any more to that tank. Generally tall tanks are not recommended compared to long wide tanks because of low surface area. The more surface area you have the better because of gas exchange.

On a lighter note I know of a restaurant/bar that had a 30hex with 10 very large goldfish in it and the tank was FILTHY!!! I say had because aparently a drunk guy "bumped" into the tank and tipped it off its stand and onto the floor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a nice tank but nowhere near big enough unfortunately. Comets and Shubunkins are the largest of the commonly shaped goldfish and Shubunkins in particular easily grow over 12 inches long, 14 inches is not at all uncommon.

For that pair you will either require a pond ( as they are in fact pond fish ) or a tank of 55 gallons or bigger ( preferably bigger) as they will grow to be large active fish who need a lot of swimming space and a good external filter.

Since this obviously will not fit on a normal desk you will eventually need to rehome them or buy/build a bigger home for them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I kept a couple goldfish in a 20 gallon before I got into live plants. I had ghost shrimp in there with them. The goldfish would occasionally nip at one but didn't eat them. I think they would gobble up cherry shrimp, considering they're a little smaller, and I wouldn't want to risk it with their increased cost. Also, cherries are pickier about water conditions and probably won't do well sharing a tank with goldfish.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.
Guess I may have been misinformed on these guys, didn't think they got that big.
I've had em for about a year now, and thought I was doing good on giving them the 20g.
I stuck some java fern in there after culling my 75g, and it seems to be doing well, and they don't eat it like they did anacharis.
Tank gets some ambient light, and LEDs for light/color.
I like that I never have had algae to clean off glass at all.
If these guys do get that big, I have friends w/ ponds, or this may be all the exscuse I need for a pond(been wanting one for a while now) though I already have 4 tanks.
Yep, a little addicted to ocean/water/fish stuff I guess!lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want a tropical fish that looks rather sinilar to goldfish that will fit in your 20 gallon, then I would highly reccomend a group of 6-8 Gold barbs. I have some in my 30 gallon and they are great, active fish to have.

I always think they look rather like golden orfes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I never REALLY went out of my way for goldfish, it just kinda happened, so now I'm just providing a good home for them, and they give me some life to gaze at while here on PC.
I'll keep them here till I decide they need a bigger space, and then decide bigger tank or pond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts