The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's what my 20 gallon looks like now....I would also like to get some suggestions from you guys about replacing the hairgrass...I'm taking a trip on sunday cause my LFS just had a huge shipment of plants...

on an angle

what rotala species is this????

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks pretty good, only thing i might change is to add a really dynamic plant in the background and move the hairgrass foward a little.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I like the hair grass; I wish mine would get around to looking anywhere near that good. How long did it take you to get it like that, and how much did you start with?

Perhaps something red would look nice behind that grass (or growing out of the middle of it). Maybe one of the hygrophilias or red temple?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that suggestion...I'll keep that in mine...the hairgrass I started out more than a year ago on my first planted tank, but I throw the majority due to hair algae...I had a few runners left under some driftwood planted them on an open area and I think it took me 3 months or so to get them started till this point....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think it looks really good!!! maybe move it forward like brianemone stated and use something in the background.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here's a bit of an update guys...I took off all the hairgrass and replace the mid ground with more E. tenellus, on the background I added some bacopa caroliana,Hydrotriche hottoniiflora,rotala sp. green....here's a pic..bad camera/bad photography skills...this pic doesn't do it justice...

that's all for now..can't wait till if fills up....:hihi:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I do have 2 65 watts PC bulbs, but I'm currently just using one cause I get lots of hair algae if I ran 130 watts...BTW running 65 watts in a 20 gallon would give me 3.25 wpg is this consider high light or moderate???

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Perfect... I say with your 20 gallon, only use the 65 watt, and then every once in a while -- like on the weekends -- blast the tank with the full 130 watts for about three hours. Your plants will love it, and you wont get a load of bba... you my even see your plants pearl during these times :wink:

Are you using pressurized or DIY CO2, and how many ppm's are you maintaining? What are you ferts are dosages? I have a 29 Gallon and I'm thinking of getting the same light you have and going for some pressurized CO2, I just have to research the whole Pressurized CO2 thing more so I dont make any mistakes...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sharky...it looks great...however, you do not have any Hydrotriche hottoniiflora in this tank. I have been looking for this plant for 2 years, and I still haven't found it. I believe what you have that you think is Hydrotriche hottoniiflora is really L madagascriensis.
ANyway, the health and balance is very pleasing. Nice job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi CMlaracy
I'm currently running a DIY CO2 set up...I have 2 nutrafin units and I the yeast once a week(alternating between units)...for ferts I'm using the PMDD(KNO3,K2SO4,MGSO4,P04 via fleet enema,trace elements(powder mix), and flourish excel)...I'm using the EI method....for CO2 I'm getting around 24-29 ppm...adding that other unit helps alot of getting consistent amounts of co2, but won't be as good as pressurized...I'm currently working on getting a pressurized system...
thanks fresh....I actually forgot the name when I left my LFS and look through the plant section and assume that it was the H. hottoniiflora...btw whats the full scientific name of this plant as I have trouble looking for info on this plant

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
No prob, Sharky...it is called Lagarosiphon madagascariensis and used to be used a lot by Amano. It grows very fast!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just an update of the tank..here it is today as the plants are starting to take off.....

Here's the look after I decided to butcher my HM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great, your plants are really taking off fast. I think the tank could be more interesting if you played with the hardscape a bit more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bit of an update...here's the tank now after I decided to ripp off the glosso carpet and did some trimming.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts