The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 20 gallon tank.

18527 22

Will this be too much plants in the future for a 20 gallon once they start to grow in?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the compliments, since the tank is so new im waiting for the plants to establish themselves so the algae will be pushed out. I read that plants will battle algae for nutrients which i hope is true. I'm also waiting for the plants to attached themselves to the driftwood.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like im going to go buy some after work then. how long does it usually take for plants to roots into the driftwood?

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 10 tetras, 5 ottos, and five Amano Shrimp (6 total counting one already in tank) waiting to be added as I type this. I want to take it slow and not rush anything. What are some other fish that can be added that won't be crowded?

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Really nice tank.

The majority of the plants you selected are pretty slow growers, so it should be easy enough to keep them from overtaking the tank.

The Vals are not slow growers however and will require a lot of pruning.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here is an update on my tank so far. I added sera phosvec granulat to the canister filter to remove some of the phosphates. Doing so removed all visible signs of brown algae, but in turn gave me green spot algae in return. I also added a few guppies to the tank to take up that extra space, but a few did die already. I'm guessing they were sick or something when I got them since the tanks in the fish store were over crowded. Five nerite snails were added to see if they would eat some of the GSA off of the Anubias and Java fern leaves.

The anubias seems to be doing well except for the GSA invasion. It is putting out roots like crazy(i wish it wasn't hidden behind the front plant.) They are putting out new leaves about once or twice a week maybe less. I suspect that I can remove the binding holding them but not too sure yet. Both Hygrophila plants don't even look the same due to growth. The one in the very back is barley visible in the first picture. The Jungle Vals took off like nothing was ever holding it back. I didn't see the melt down and reestablishment of this plant everyone else say that happens with this plant. It is sending out its runners everywhere popping up new growth which i soon will have to clip and replant else where. I'm curious to see how Jungle val can take over the top, maybe it can provide some shade for the Anubias. The cotton thread that was holding down the Java Fern has dissolved away and now the plant seems to have taken hold on the driftwood. Its not very noticeable in this picture but the ferns have started to root from the bottom of the leaves starting new plants so I won't be buying anymore anytime soon.

I really do like the look the tank has developed. :icon_cry:Its sad that I will have to tear it down next Feb. to move to my next base in South Korea.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I added a led light under the main light to give it a moonlight effect. I love my tank too much now to tear it down later. I also hope that the fish are getting some sleep, they are so active with the lights added.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.