The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to start a journal for my first planted tank. Ive learned alot along the way and have been battling thread algae (clado?) That was going crazy in my tank. I ended up dosing the tank with a ton of h202 and excel and it seems to have knocked alot of it back.

I dose daily with the full seachem lineup.

FERTS

Flourish comprehensive : 2 ml
Flourish Excel: 5 - 10 ml
Flourish Iron: 3 ml
Flourish pottasium: 5 ml
Flourish phosphorous: 5 ml
Flourish Nitrogen: 5 ml
Flourish root tabs: 5

FILTRATION

Colbalt Aquatics EXT canister filter
Aquatech 20 - 40 HOB filter (currently seeding colbalt)

LIGHTING

3 X Sunblaster T5HO 24" 24 watts 6400k - 72 watts total
2 X Phillips 23 watts 6500k - 46 watts total
= 118 watts = 5.9 WPG

PLANTS

TO BE UPDATED

FISH

9 X Platy
3 X swordtails
1 X black molly
1 X BN Pleco
2 X SAE (siamese algae eater)
17 X Amano / Yamato Shrimp (never see more than 3 at a time)

CO2

Aqua inspiration 5 pound CO2 tank & regulator with solenoid.
Fluval diffuser (inline soon)
Roughly 1.5 to 2 bubbles per second during light cycle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The picture is about a week old will update later on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like the tank is coming along very nicely and is very developed. How long have you been running the T-5 lights. If it has been to long 6mo-1yr. some of the spectrum could be lost and this could be some cause to the algae issue. Just thinking.

Here is my first 20 gallon. It's a work in progress, but have big ideas for it. Just taking it nice and easy.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=574306

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T5ho. Bulbs and ballast are brand new except for one bulb. I've removed the CFL lights and upped the co2. I also cleaned the canister filter yesterday and guess what I found? 1 swordtail fry about two weeks old and an amano shrimp just swimming away in the mulm in the bottom but it died when I put it back into the tank :( it keeps taking lives, had the filter off for maintenance and a 2 month old platy decided to swim up the outtake pipe and hang out by the impeller on the inline pump. Nexrr thing u know it I see shredded platy flying through my tank. I need to open it up again today because I think my black Molly is in there somehow, unless it jumped and it's still beside my tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
T5ho. Bulbs and ballast are brand new except for one bulb. I've removed the CFL lights and upped the co2. I also cleaned the canister filter yesterday and guess what I found? 1 swordtail fry about two weeks old and an amano shrimp just swimming away in the mulm in the bottom but it died when I put it back into the tank :( it keeps taking lives, had the filter off for maintenance and a 2 month old platy decided to swim up the outtake pipe and hang out by the impeller on the inline pump. Nexrr thing u know it I see shredded platy flying through my tank. I need to open it up again today because I think my black Molly is in there somehow, unless it jumped and it's still beside my tank.
oh man! Can you put a prefilter on that intake? I have a Filter Max on my Hob. Been great and adds to the aerobic filtration.

Guess the lights aren't the algae issue. Are your water parameters in check?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The algae is starting to disappear, I'm feeding less and pulled out a bunch of infected moss lowered the temp and optimized the flow the best I could.
I picked up a prefilter sponge and checked the filter for the black Molly and found nothing. Must have been a snack for the amanos in there cave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.