The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Betta is exhibiting color loss and a bulge under his claspers...could this be swim bladder? I don't know what it is. He is normally very social, eats out of my hand....etc He is down at the bottom looking miserable. I quarantined him...doess anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I am treating him with a parasitic general cure to see if it helps. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Not good. This happened to my GF's crowntail when she was back in grad school. I'm convinced that Bettas only last for 2-3 years max--shorter if they exhibit all the crazy breeding traits. Her "Buddy" exhibited the same symptoms (lethargy, depression, loss of color, etc) for about 2 weeks...she comes home from class and he's gone. Just be prepared. Sorry to hear he's ill.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Best of Luck with your Betta.
IMO it doesn't sound like Swim Bladder, which will throw of his buoyancy, and equilibrium. I've never seen swim bladder make a fish look lethargic, and depressed.
If it is you might want to try feeding the skins off some peas.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He just died.... so sad...had him for a long time. trained him to do all sorts of trix...

·
Registered
562 Posts
hmmm... good ol' One Eyed Bob went like that. I've never had a betta live past the two year mark... granted - just recently have I been keeping them in filtered aquariums, five gallons of space each. I'm trying to see if they'll live longer now - oldest is around a year old...

Yeah, but that sounds like classic old-age symptom to me. Does he still come to the surface if you offer food? Bob would do that...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he ate out of my hand....:( he died
He was in a 90 gal filtered/planted, so it wasn't like he lived in a small condo.
Oh well....poor guy

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Lynn. I seriously doubt it is anything you did wrong, just sounds like old age. 2 years on a betta is very good, and who knows how old he was when you got him! You should be proud that you were able to provide him with a long and happy life.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i'm really sorry to hear about your loss lynn. :( i could buy you a new one and ship it to you if it made you feel better. a good ole' southerner coming to visit! haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts