The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my 2 vivs that I am currently maintaining. The first is a 65 gallon that is housing a trio of Dendrobates pumilio "Bastimentos." The reason for such a large viv for such tiny frogs is because this species is probably one of the most territorial PDFs, both males and females. I wanted to go with a natural feel to the viv, so I built a little water feature with a waterfall to make it look like a "puddle" on the forest floor.

1, 2, 3 Jump!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently bought this 25 gallon hex as a x-mas present to myself. It has a nice height as well as floor space. I'm planning on putting 2 or 3 D. reticulatus in here in the future weeks/months to come. The bottom is heavily covered in leaf litter. Plants include 4 vriesa, 1 neo, 2 philodendron sp., a smaller orchid sp., and a type of ivy. I wanted to keep the viv relatively simple, and I left a good bit of open area for the vriesa pups to really grow in. I'm also using some moss from BJ.com and will see how that holds up. The lighting is a 24" strip of CF @ 65 watts. Please ignore the reflections and yellow hue of the last 3 photos. I forgot to change the white balance. :( Again, I love mixed leaf-litter because it makes a viv look that much more natural.

Before the planting:

·
Registered
429 Posts
beautiful... I'm thinking of making one myself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
:) crickets. im very familiar with them, its ok which ever ones hit the ground and run my cats catch pretty fast. i have 3 bearded dragons , 2 blue tounge skinks , a 75 with two turtles, a 23 long with 3 baby turtles , a 20 long with leopard geckos , i just lost my whites :( he was years old.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've been a fan of your work for a while now, you have a very very good eye and know how to do things simple yet elegant! I also am a fan since your my age as well and it's cool to see people who do similar things!

really nice Tj :D I might consider keeping frogs later on but its what they eat that bugs me lol.
Me too... Sooner or later I'll get some PDFs though...

:) crickets.
...i just lost my whites :( he was years old.
I'm not sure if you know but MOST PDFs eat FF(fruit flies) or springtails.. Sometimes pinhead crix depending on type of frog...

Welcome here, Hope to see more of your posts!

-Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure if you know but MOST PDFs eat FF(fruit flies) or springtails.. Sometimes pinhead crix depending on type of frog...
Actually, many species of Dendrobates get large enough to eat crickets. D. leucomelas and D. azureus both get big enough to take crickets. Juvies would definitely need fruit flies, but adults can indeed take larger food items.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Actually, many species of Dendrobates get large enough to eat crickets. D. leucomelas and D. azureus both get big enough to take crickets. Juvies would definitely need fruit flies, but adults can indeed take larger food items.
That is Right... But not common. Crickets can screw up frogs if they're too big for them. I've heard of PDFs Choking to death on Crix:angryfire D. Leucomelas are fine for pinheads and maybe "medium" depending on what medium is at your store. That's another thing crix size store to store varries a LOT.

Also Generally Crix aren't as good for PDFs because they can cause digestive problems I've read. D leucomelas do get quite big and those are probably fine taking medium or small crix.

The other species you also forgot are the ones that get REALLY big the Mint and Gold tribluises (or what is the latin name? I'm horrible with latin names....) Those are pretty much the only frogs I couldn't have a problem feeding Crix to, and D. Azureurs those get big!

-Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts