The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i will be adding another 10 gallons in my garage, I went and ahead and add a second metering valve to my co2 regulator. It doesn't look big at all. The right 90 degree elbow does not look like 90 degree. Either that or it's my eyes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396507706.188912.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396507717.356225.jpg

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
For those two or more output regulator. When you adjust one, does it effect the output of others? Slightly or not at all?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
For those two or more output regulator. When you adjust one, does it effect the output of others? Slightly or not at all?
Not really. Maybe with more than 5 cheap needle valves. I don't see much change if any at all, with two Parker HR3 and 25 - 30 psi working pressure.

Those Brooks are supposedly better and more precise than then Parkers, good job Alan, one of the best all around build.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
shiny!
wish I have two fish tank close together so I can build a double output unit too, lol.

Parker HR (0-6 series) and Brooks (1-3 series), in these non rising stem design, extreme high precision metering valves, who is more precise is not that we can judge...
they all take some turns to get the wanted bubble...

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I have brooks big brother, but find out that's a broken valve, I can't control the the bubble with it. I guess it's too old from 1977.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I have brooks big brother, but find out that's a broken valve, I can't control the the bubble with it. I guess it's too old from 1977.

How did you test it?
Put it on a complete system, and make sure there is no LEAK, you will see different result.
Not sure what series is yours, but more than likely it is the same as Alan's which have the digital handle.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Dang this valve is older than me. I have another Hooks metering vakve and will be installing it to the SGT500 system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
My first build. Also a SGT500. I don't know anhything about it when I bought it. LOL Find it out after I see the SGT v.s HPT compareison.
This valve is a lot older than me too.
here is how I test it. simple build. enough for me to test out all the parts.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Alan, both of the Brooks on your system were made around the same time as flowerfishes'.
The one with "B 1" on top, took out from a plasma ethching machine, the other one was new in the package but has been in the package since 80s...
Old, but extremely high precision for sure.
BTW, the nupro 22 series that you showed the small needle stem(small orifice) in anothet thread, was from the 60s..
It is the Mass flow controller(thousands a piece) dominate the tech equipment market nowaday, high precision anolog flow valves are not popular(but very good for our application)

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
My first build. Also a SGT500. I don't know anhything about it when I bought it. LOL Find it out after I see the SGT v.s HPT compareison.

That doesn't look a sgt-500 to me. I'm also not aware that Harris buys regulators from victor and re-brands them.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts

The reg is Harris HP722, share the same chasis as one of the HPT/SGT model, to be exact, you can call it a HPT500.
The Harris HP742, is stainless steel, same as SGT

With that many major brands sharing the same chasis/design of the typical victor HPT500, I seriously doubt any of these regulators were made in the USA.
Probably JAPAN...

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The reg is Harris HP722, share the same chasis as one of the HPT/SGT model, to be exact, you can call it a HPT500.

With that many major brands sharing the same chasis/design of the typical victor HPT500, I seriously doubt any of these regulators were made in the USA.
Probably JAPAN...
You learn something new everyday. Haha

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alan, both of the Brooks on your system were made around the same time as flowerfishes'.
The one with "B 1" on top, took out from a plasma ethching machine, the other one was new in the package but has been in the package since 80s...
Old, but extremely high precision for sure.
BTW, the nupro 22 series that you showed the small needle stem(small orifice) in anothet thread, was from the 60s..
It is the Mass flow controller(thousands a piece) dominate the tech equipment market nowaday, high precision anolog flow valves are not popular(but very good for our application)
I was thinking of incorporating the mass controller to the co2 system just for the heck of it, but it is too big. By the way how did you know so well about the origin of my Brooks valves? LoL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
618 Posts

Probably JAPAN...

according the specs from the website. mine is all stainless steel. Do I get a SS hpt500?

VWR Regulator Model # 55850-684

https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=4777316

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
You learn something new everyday. Haha
The high quality regs, gauges, made in the 80s or early 90s, proudly marked "made in USA", but anything newer, the "made in USA" disappear....
The manufacture line probably support the similar regulators from different brands, and manufacture in other country to lower the cost, (probably Japan or S Korea), think about the auto industry...
I am sure the design and development are still in the US, that is something can't outsourcing for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
according the specs from the website. mine is all stainless steel. Do I get a SS hpt500?

VWR Regulator Model # 55850-684

https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=4777316
Because there is no match pdf for the small brand part number, we don't know it is SS or chrome plated.
Take a high resolution picture to show the body of the regulator, may be we can tell by its look.

Edit, Looking for .pdf ATM
Edit 2, it is stainless steel ! The Harris HP742 model, similar to victor SGT, nice find, I've been looking for a HP742 but never have the luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts