The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking, which one should I post it in. Either the photo album or the Planted Nano tanks. Then I read the description of the two threads, and Nano Tanks are for discussion. And this is to show off your photos. Well I chose this because there are more people who reply here :-D.

I'd like to thank Turbomkt for the Cherries, and Matthew_Mahling for the rocks, blyxa japonica, and hairgrass.

Here you are:

Stats
Light: 18 watts CF (the mini aqualight by Coralife)
CO2: pressurized
Substrate: "Shrimp Ichiban Sand" on top, ADA AS on bottom
Fauna: 6 Cherry shrimp, 4 Bee shrimp (one kind of disappeared...), 1 Amano shrimp, 1 Endler's Liverbearer fry and 2 Corydoras Hasbrosus.
Flora: HC, Eleocharis parvula, Blyxa Japonica
Ferts: Seachem Nitrogen, Seachem Phosphorus, Seachem Potassium, and Seachem Flourish
Ph:6.2-6.4 area
GH: dunno
KH: 2 degrees
Temp: 26 degrees Celsius

Any comments welcome. I will try to update the pics, regardless of how many comments I get :-D. I just wanna keep this page bookmarked to keep it as my journal, because I don't really want to make a personal one.

This is what is was before: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...ndiegoryus-2-gallon-tank-iwagumi-attempt.html

I think I actually beat my clado. Now to kill the BBA. I hope my CO2 will take care of it. Just afraid of overdose because of my shrimp.

Please help me make this tank better!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your shirmps and especially your Corydoras Hasbrosus makes your tank look very big.(except for the diffuser, but you can hide it behind that rock) I love it, nice work :proud: .

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone.

Yes the diffuser puts everything to scale, but ignoring the diffuser, the tank does seem a lot bigger than I realized :-D. Next time I take a picture, I'll take out the diffuser.

Ankit: the pressurized cost me in total about 100 dollars. I paid about 50 for an azoo regulator, and another 50 in tubing, cylinder, and adapter. I used a paintball cylinder, with a On/off valve, which is CGA 320 fitting. Looks pretty nice.

For this tank I've spent like $200 :-D.

Yes I am very ambitious about this hobby. Every since I started this hobby, I've always wanted a green field with iwagumi style rocks. Amano's glosso tanks would amaze me very much. So I used a 2 gallon, to make it cheaper on me to make a great iwagumi tank. Now I just need to wait to let the plants fill in. One day's growth is great with CO2 :-D.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How much was your pressurized CO2? Pretty ambitious for a 15 year old! 8)
so just becuse hes 15 it means he cant afford a co2 system?

>thread starter.
very nice aquarium it reminds me alot of oliver knott and amano's tanks.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:-O!!!!!!

REMINDS YOU OF OLIVER KNOTT AND AMANO'S TANK?!?!?! AWESOME! That is one of my goals in life LOL.

I love you for saying that.

Ok that was my kid side. Sometimes you'll see me spazzing out about stuff. :-D.
THANK YOU AQUARIUM BOY!

Well I don't blame Ankit for saying that. I mean, what do you REALLY expect from a 15 year old? Well to make changes to that, I made Y.A.A., and to make people aware this isn't just a hobby for you older people :-D. I love fish tanks.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I buy my co2 from the internet :-D. More specifically, Amazon.com. It's a 20oz paintball cylinder by Brass Eagle. I filled mine at Sports Chalet, if you have them at New York. Then I got a On/Off valve seperately. I've heard that the built in ones aren't so reliable so I got a seperate one and I'm pleased.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my first setup got too much BBA and clado while I was in Japan. I also bought the substrate in Japan, so decided to save what I could and start from scratch. It's doing great so far.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Nice job Ryu! :proud:

For a little constructive criticism, I'm not entirely thrilled by your rock placement. I think the plants and everything will grow in to make a really beautiful tank regardless of how your rocks are setup, but I think that by just turning one of the rocks around and eliminating the sharp V shape you have there will give the tank a much more serene and natural look. Make one of them face the other instead of them turning away from eachother. Plus it will be a little more in-line with the actual rules of iwagumi if that's what you're going for. I chose not to call my tank an iwagumi tank because I wasn't really following any of the principles.

I'd also move the diffuer over to a corner. Eventually it will hopefully get hidden, but in the meantime, keep it anywhere but the center. ;)

PS. Soooo jealous about your pressurized CO2. One of these days....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yah I kept the CO2 under the outflow of the filter. But it's not helping much so I will move it to a corner now.

Thanks for the tip on the rock placement. So you'd want one rock facing the same direction? I'm gonna go later tomorrow to study more on Iwagumi principles. I didn't before I made this lol. I'll also look at more iwagumi tanks for help on rock placement. It's still young so I can do all these changes without too much trouble. I'll get on it as soon as finals week end.

Thanks much for the constructive criticism. I want more posts like this :-D. Helps a lot.

·
Registered
644 Posts
But of course ;)

There's probably a lot out there to read and I'm by no means an expert (or even very knowledgable for that matter) but from what I've read in the past Sanzon Iwagumi is the most prolific form and involves 3 stones, 1 larger and 2 smaller arranged in the golden triangle. The two smaller stones lean in towards the larger stone and represent a Japanese scene of two smaller Buddah bowing to a larger Buddah.

There are other forms but this was the best documented form I found when I was looking for info when laying out my tank. I eventually decided to go with other inspiration and not do an iwagumi tank.

Whether or not you decide to go with traditional iwagumi or not, I think moving the stones a little more off-center and making them not face directly away from each other will make an already beautiful tank just a little more pleasing ;)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Nice tank, sandie.
How are the hasbrosus cories?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks dufus and Solstice. Tomorrow definitely, or I think, I will change the rock layout after reading more on principles of Iwagumi/Aquascaping.

The cories are fine. Just never had them before so I dunno if this is normal behavior. But it seems to be healthy behavior :-D. They also eat the shrimp food so its fine. I also put pieces of algae wafers so that the cories get a more nutritious meal rather than nutrients meant for shrimp.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Cool critters they are. i want some pygmyeus cories.
BTW: where'd you get them?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well since you're in Texas, it won't help much. I got it at an LFS in San Diego called Aquatic Warehouse. Sorry can't help you. Not the internet :p.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW! I REALLY like this rock scape now! Water is a little foggy but here it goes. It's the same two rocks BTW.

I will post clearer picture as soon as it clears. Better photo too. This one was a quick snapshot. My hands were wet :-D.

Edit: Critique please!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts