The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started a 2.5 gallon tank. I going to try and make this a shrimp only tank. Maybe 1 otto for algae. Substrate is Flora max but will probably add some Fluva shrimp substrate on top. So far I have HC, M.Minuta, and DW lettuce. May switch out the lettuce for Salvinia Minima (thanks chris.rivera3 for the raok). Have some rocks and wood. I am thinking of taking out either the rocks or wood or both and replace with chola wood instead. Using a Toms mini internal filter and for now a fluval 13 watt compact clip on light. I will be switching out this light with an indescent light strip but with a 10 watt flourescent 6500k bulb when it comes in.

Just planted top view:

Side view:

Side view filled with water:

I put aged tank water and some gunk from an established tank to help with the cycle. Once it gets cycled and I get the parameters to where I want it, I will but the shrimp in. Probably will go with RCS. Will provide updates as time goes on.

Any comments, suggestions, advice are welcomed! :biggrin:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok made some changes. Removed the rocks and added some slopes. Moved a few things around. Added Blyxa Japonica, a little of DHG, and some moss on the wood. Will stack a few cholla wood back left hand corner between the DHG and HC once it stops floating around. Shrimp should love that. I think it looks alot better.

Light bulb came in today but not the light strip. Ordered both at the same time from Petco but mailed form 2 different locations. I think the strip might be lost some where because other than the package being accepted/picked up on 8/25/11 (Priority Shipping), no other updates. :icon_neut

Still need to get some Fluval Shrimp Stratum and a small heater that I can adjust the temp on. Any suggestions on the heater? :help:

·
Registered
4,986 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
that does look good now =)
as for the heating issue, you wont need a heater unless your room temps go below 70F or above 85F, or if they swing a LOT during the day/night...shouldn't really be happening if there is a reliable heat source for your room.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to my 2.5 Gallon Tank 11/11/11

Received the light strip I was waiting for in but did not like it much when I installed it. The light bulb placement in the light strip was way off to one side and only gave light to that side of the tank so I returned it. I got a Catalina light house fixture and a 13 watt 6500k bulb. It looks much better and has a better light spread in the tank.

Got the Fluval Shrimp Stratum top off, the cholla wood pieces and the 4 inch heater in the tank. Got some nice juvie RCS as the new inhabitants.

Updated photos: Yes I know, tank glass needs cleaning. Thinking of putting an otto in to keep algae in check.

Thanks for looking! :fish1:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New creatures/bugs

Well found new inhabitants in my tank........I think they are copecods/cyclops bugs:

I guess it is a sign my water is good and from what I have read they are pretty much harmless but eeeewwwwww! I was trying to keep it mostly a shrimp tank but I guess will try and put some fish in there in hopes they eat them up or at the very least keep them in check.

Any one had any experience with pseudomugil gertrudae fry and if they will eat these cyclops/copepods? Otherwise, what other small/nano size fish will eat them and not bother baby shrimps?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tank still up?
Sorry for the very late response. Had problems with my home pipes bursting last year. Had to gut out the crawl space under the house and the whole kitchen. Took over 4 months working with insurance and contractors to get everything repaired. Water damage is no joke! :icon_eek:

With all this happening, all my tanks (5) suffered. I got back into the hobby earlier this year but have not been very active till now.

This tank is no longer up but has been replaced with a 3 gallon tank instead. Took pics and will create a journal on another thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts