The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! i have been working on my 1st planted tank for about a month. my baby tears have perked up since the 1st few weeks after they were planted, and they look nice and green. BUT they are all being choked by some kind of brown fuzzy algae. i tried to siphon it off, but the plant came up with it when i did that. parameters are normal. a green algae bloom passed about a week ago. any advice would be truly appreciated! some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
What type of fish or inverts do you got? What are you dosing? Tank specs aswell it will help people help you with battling the algea.

Not positive but from what i can see could be clado in which case you should throw dynamite in the tank. J/k

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh no! ok--

12 gallon tank, (Fluval Edge, worst tank EVER but it sure looks nice),
18W LED lighting (adding a 14W bulb fixture this week to increase watts)
lights on 12 hours a day
Co2 on 12 hours a day 1 drop per sec
oto been in for a week
just added 2 dwarf puffers today + 3 large nerites
eco complete substrate
dosing EXCEL 1x a week

i want to add more plants to make it more dense for the puffers but i'm afraid to. attached photo of whole tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Excel only has a 24 hour halflife in the water column. Ive never used it while dosing co2. so im not sure if you should dose everyday,I need someone else to chime in here but excel is a daily duty. Your puffers will eventually get your large nerites off subject but just saying.

Are you dosing any nutrients or just excel?

What I personally would do though is get some good looking fast growing plants that will out compete the algea for the nutrients. Those vals in your background will do when they get bigger but, to balance it out i would snag up some rotala or something similar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, it's too bad about the nerites. i ordered them before i made a decision on the dwarf puffers. figured nerites would be safe with whatever i eventually chose :icon_frow. it took me weeks to decide on what fish to get and i'm so pleased with the puffers. they are so awesome.

so i should be dosing with Excel daily? i am not dosing any nutrients. what should i be dosing? how can i get rid of this stuff?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't want to say you should dose it daily while running co2 as I am unsure. Excel provides no nutrition to the plants it is just an alternative carbon source like co2. You are definitely burning only on what the eco complete is providing nutrient wise and it will run out eventually. I would definitely get some fast growing plants in there though I am 100 percent positive on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This could be related to the nitrate spike as your tank is either ending or coming to the end of the cycle period. You might trying cutting the dose of excel temporarily until it is gone. I'm going to quote scripture here and say algae is usually because of excess nutrients (in any form), so once your plants really grow in, they're not taking in as much of what is currently available as they will later on. Hence why you may have this algae problem. There is something you could try using hydrogen peroxide. There are people who spot treat their plants with it in a spray bottle, but I would research that first.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree with Sanchez. And I have spot treated with hydrogen peroxide before. The easiest way I found is to take a clear plastic ziplock container or something similar put it over the plant and sqeeze in hydrogen peroxide under it with a medicine syringe leave it for twenty minutes or so then uncover it. 5ml or so each plant. When you uncover it its not really gonna hurt anything fish snails plants etc. The algea will turn red or white when its dying i would do this once a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.