The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 1G AquaView Thai Micro Crabitat

5928 Views 22 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  AnonAnona
When I got back into the hobby early last year, it didn't take long for M.T.S. to kick in. After my 12G Edge and my first 10G, the next tank I set up was one of those funky-sorta-triangular-but-with-five-sides acrylic AquaView tanks. I had two of them in my garage from years ago. One had a spot for a light in the hood and one didn't, so I set up the one with the light. I immediately replaced the stock incandescent bulb with a 5W 5000K LED. I had to rig it a little to fit it in the hood, but it worked. Well, my first attempt was a complete failure. The 5W bulb in that small of a tank put out a ridiculous amount of light and there was hair algae everywhere. Then the bulb stopped working (maybe from moisture), so I replaced it with a 3W bulb. Since then, it has been on my nightstand housing a variety of invertebrates. I dose with a few drops of Excel when I remember and feed sparingly. The little TOM mini filter gets cleaned out every few months. I was using tiny cuts of carbon pads in that ridiculously tiny little media basket, but with the most recent cleaning I switched to a few little pieces of Matrix. The tank stays very clean, but I have had no luck breeding any of the shrimp I've housed in there and they usually disappear. From what I've seen, I think they eventually develop problems molting and the snails get them.

So I just brought the tank downstairs and decided it was time to do an overhaul. I thought there were two BV's in there, but I only recovered one, so the other may have died recently. I also removed a lot of ramshorn snails and left only a few smaller ones. The shells on the older ramshorns look terrible and pitted, so I believe the water in this tank is too soft. I'll probably drop some crushed coral in with the sand when I rescape to boost the PH.

Planned fauna will be a few ramshorns and some Thai micro crabs. While I like the current jungle look, I'm afraid I won't be able to see the crabs.

Flora includes the following:

-Jungle Val that has been there since the beginning and will probably be moved to one of my big tanks
-Dwarf sag that has sent out runners like crazy and spread all over
-A little DHG
-Even less HC
-Crypt wendtii red
-Duckweed

The duckweed grew too thick and blocked out too much light for too long. My crypts melted (but not a lost cause) and I lost some of what little HC was in there. I cleaned out most of the duckweed and may replace with a few RRF.

I have a number of plants I could work with, but I don't want to add too much. I have a few ridiculously large stems of p. helferi that look out of place in my 29G, so I may move a couple of them into this tank. Beyond that, maybe remove the vals and reduce the dwarf sag or cut it down shorter.

I'll be uploading pics from Tapatalk shortly.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Oh god! I'm planning to get a turtle tank set up when I move out of my parents house but now I want a crabitat as well :icon_mrgr

must.... resist.... MTS.... strengthening! :icon_redf

I haven't seen a crab setup on TPT before... yours is awesome! Nice work! Youve managed to make that little tank look rather big :)

btw I would have thought shrimp pellets as food and shrimp as company would be a bit strange. If a crab eats a shrimp pellet then wont it see the shrimp as live food? I have no idea if that's true or not but I've heard bettas do similar things with shrimp and wondered if the same would apply here. Thought I'd throw that idea into the convo!

Keep us updated!
Subbed!

Rad91

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, sad news. I haven't seen a crab or any of the shrimplets in over a week :(

And even worse, it has been two days since I've seen either of my adult RCS. It's like they just vanished. I can't imagine what happened to them unless they had trouble molting and the snails ate them. There are quite a few snails in there again, but I see signs of damage on the shells of the larger ones. I think the water in this tank is too soft. Probably should have added some crushed coral to the substrate.

I'm at a loss as to what to put in there now. I have another 1G tank (my Cubus) that is currently host to two orange sakura females and an unknown number of shrimplets. They seem to be doing well, but possibly because the water is harder since I do have crushed coral in that tank. I don't want to keep putting shrimp in what seems to be a death trap, and I certainly don't want to pay another $40 for more micro crabs.

I think I'm just going to remove every last piece of duckweed (it has covered the top again), add some slower-spreading giant duckweed, re-plant some of the stems that got uprooted during my last dwarf sag runner removal, and fertilize the heck out of the tank for a while. It can be a plant and snail only tank until my shrimp populations get built up again. I also got three CPO's the other day, so if I can get them to breed I might put one in this tank. I love those little orange lobsters :D

· Registered
140 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tank... I read this as soon as you posted it but haven't had any free time to comment until now.

So... have you decided what to do with the tank? If crabs and shrimp are dying then you could add a load of Ramshorn snails (really bold coloured ones) and if they eat your plants, just add clippings from other tanks.

My cabomba is growing at a rate of 10 inches every 2 weeks and I'm hacking it out and giving it to my mums goldfish. They destroy it but who cares :D You could do the same with yours and do a bit of selective breeding with some snails :D

all the best and good luck!

Rad91

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.