The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I decided to try and start a journal for my new set up. I just got my 11.4 Gallon Mr.Aqua in the mail today as well as my eheim 2211 filter. I also got some MTS from the swap and shop, as well as some flourite black sand to cap it. So far, I have some HC in the mail as well as some Tropica 49. Other than that, I am not sure what I will be getting in terms of flora or fauna for that matter. I collected some rocks in the local area for my hard scape. I will try to upload some pics later of my set up. I am going to do this dry start I think. This is my second planted tank so I would love critiques on my setup.

Thanks guys for the interest

Oh and this tank is gonna be for college dorm

Image of tank with potash and dolomite laid on bottom

Image of tank filled with substrate and a few rocks. I think that the stones are a bit small for this tank, but for now they are all i have

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the instructions on the eheim say that the filter must be placed below water level of the tank. Do you think it will be alright if it stay like it is in the photos behind the tank. the intake return is below the water level I intend for the tank. Just not by much. I would like to keepr it where it is because the hosing that came with the system will not be long enough to place on the floor

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice hardscape! Just finished setting up my 11.4 too.
Thanks. I have never done a hard scape with rocks before so it was definitely a new experience. If anyone has any comments about my hard scape please let me know. Also, it seems that the the flouride black s and is holding moisture pretty well. I notice that even the top of my slope is still moist a few hours after set up.

Regarding my filter, do you guys think using the spray bar that came with my eheim would be better or just the regular output pipe? it is a 2211 on this tank

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd go with the spray bar since you get an even flow throughout the tank. Although I personally would go with a 2215.
A 2215??? Wouldn't that like make a little whirlpool in the tank? I guess you can turn down the flow with the intake out take connectors but still... Though I am relatively new to the hobby 2215 just seems like overkill to me

Is that what you have on 2211?

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
A 2215??? Wouldn't that like make a little whirlpool in the tank? I guess you can turn down the flow with the intake out take connectors but still... Though I am relatively new to the hobby 2215 just seems like overkill to me

Is that what you have on 2211?
Yup a 2215 on full blast and I like the flow and wen it gets old and full with mulm, you'll want the extra flow. Haha

Not sure what you mean by the 2211

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been thinking of fish selection possibilities with this tank and so far I have come to pencilfish as my first choice. I would prefer to get golden pencilfish because I like the way they look or dwarf pencilfish. Unfortunately I have had a hard time finding either of these fish online. However, I was able to find three lined pencilfish. What do you guys think of pencilfish for this tank?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
How much did you pay for it? I have been wanting one!

I think the rocks are too small and I would get larger rocks before going any further. The placement looks good. But they are too small

What light do you plan on?

You can call me Bob ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much did you pay for it? I have been wanting one!

I think the rocks are too small and I would get larger rocks before going any further. The placement looks good. But they are too small

What light do you plan on?

You can call me Bob ;)
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the input. I wanted to get bigger rocks, but anything I found larger than these in the area reacted to vinegar so... I would buy rocks but after splurging for this set up, I am kind of running broke right now. The Mr. Aqua tank I got was $46.99 without shipping from Marine Depot. It arrived in great condition with more packing insulation than I could have imagined lol. For the light, I bought an Archaea 36watt pc light. If you have any other suggestion please let me know. If you have any suggestions for a rock type that would look good in this tank as well as a place where I could get it for a good price please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
ahh. i see your dilemma. i would make a post in the california section of the forums and ask where to get rock locally. i would say keep looking until you find some nicer big pieces. seeing as your broke (Me too) i wouldnt buy any. just keep looking until you find the perfect piece. i always say start with a strong hardscape, then the rest comes naturally.

ahh yeah, seeing as im broke too, 46 bucks is out of the budget for me :)

i dont know about the filter. sorry. but i definitely wouldve at least gone with a 2213.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ahh. i see your dilemma. i would make a post in the california section of the forums and ask where to get rock locally. i would say keep looking until you find some nicer big pieces. seeing as your broke (Me too) i wouldnt buy any. just keep looking until you find the perfect piece. i always say start with a strong hardscape, then the rest comes naturally.

ahh yeah, seeing as im broke too, 46 bucks is out of the budget for me :)

i dont know about the filter. sorry. but i definitely wouldve at least gone with a 2213.
I am thinking the same thing now about the filter. After reading posts on this forum, I think the 2213 would have been a better choice, but it's too late now, so I am just gonna try it with the 2211

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.