The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this tank about 1 1/2 months ago from albany aquarium in berkeley.
So far, I am pretty satisfied with the tank.
I put 4 cherry barbs, and 1 corydora catfish in there. 1 cherry barb and the cory died within 2 days. My fault for entrusting petsmart for my fish. I guess I was just desperate for something swimming.

The tank is experiencing some algae, most of the algae on the anubias is from my friends tank, and so far the newest leaf that the anubias has has yet to develop any algae.

I have a Penguin Biowheel 330 as the filter for this tank and I have yet to get a heater, been broke for a while. :( Thats life!
The substrate is plan old pea gravel, nothing fancy at all.

I will continue to update this journal as I go along.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, Scratch everything above. I decided the tank above just wasn't working for my tastes. So I visited Phil and Agy at Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco right after I dropped my GF at SF international airport to go back to hiroshima =(.
Nonetheless, the trip today brought my spirits up and something to look forward to.
Dropped 45 bucks there and had a good conversation with agy. Decided not to get some fish.

I did a completely new rescape, with new gravel. Didn't bother to put anything special for the substrate. It will be my lowtech tank for me to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Alright, Scratch everything above. I decided the tank above just wasn't working for my tastes. So I visited Phil and Agy at Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco right after I dropped my GF at SF international airport to go back to hiroshima =(.
Nonetheless, the trip today brought my spirits up and something to look forward to.
Dropped 45 bucks there and had a good conversation with agy. Decided not to get some fish.

I did a completely new rescape, with new gravel. Didn't bother to put anything special for the substrate. It will be my lowtech tank for me to enjoy.
I went there yesterday as well...what time were you there?

And I think the new rescape looks great:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is now a small discus inhabiting the tank because as soon as I put the discus in my 55g, all of the angels showed extreme aggression to it. So the discus is lone in the 10g, I think it may be too small but Its going to have to stay there. I got a heater for the tank too. I really wish I didn't have to put the discus in the tank, but I have no choice.... =(

·
Registered
703 Posts
Some people with HOB filters like with what you have, will rig up a way so that the c02 gets sucked up the intake of the filter, and gets sent back through the output.
I tried this method, but the noise of my filter with co2 bubbles was too annoying for me.

Some people just use a normal diffuser of some kind. ceramic, wood, yada yada

Now i use this method on my 10g and 30g for the time being.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html

Once you have your Yeast Recipe (http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/...intensity.html) dialed in, this method works like a charm. The downfalls to this method is that it is not always a consistent rate of co2. The co2 that is created form the yeast recipe slowly dies off over the coarse of 2 weeks or so. Also its a little more high maintenance compared to a pressurized setup.

If you do it this way, don't forget to add a bubble counter in between your co2 reactor and your check valve to the aquarium. It collects most of the residue that the yeast reactor puts off, you most likely don't want that stuff in your tank. And remember, if you have one bad seal in this whole system, it will not work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some people with HOB filters like with what you have, will rig up a way so that the c02 gets sucked up the intake of the filter, and gets sent back through the output.
I tried this method, but the noise of my filter with co2 bubbles was too annoying for me.

Some people just use a normal diffuser of some kind. ceramic, wood, yada yada

Now i use this method on my 10g and 30g for the time being.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html

Once you have your Yeast Recipe (http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/...intensity.html) dialed in, this method works like a charm. The downfalls to this method is that it is not always a consistent rate of co2. The co2 that is created form the yeast recipe slowly dies off over the coarse of 2 weeks or so. Also its a little more high maintenance compared to a pressurized setup.

If you do it this way, don't forget to add a bubble counter in between your co2 reactor and your check valve to the aquarium. It collects most of the residue that the yeast reactor puts off, you most likely don't want that stuff in your tank. And remember, if you have one bad seal in this whole system, it will not work.
Thank you for the input.
I will get the Hagen filter ASAP.
I was looking for a good diffuser...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very pretty. I like the new 'scaping better than the old for sure! What kind of light it that you have over it? Looks cool.
I have a Quad Tube Compact Flourescent reading light. It's around 40 watts, and I believe I got it from Biglots for less than 20 dollars. Very efficient and puts out a lot of light. I took apart the light and make it to where it will fit over the tank nicely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.