The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I was hoping if you lovely people can help me decide on what to put in my 100 gallon that's full of species of Anubias.

Right now, there are only a few fish. Lately I developed a phobia of buying fish from my LFS because of the diseases and things that they carry. I'm even afraid of adding new plants because last time I added an Anubias, for some reason it caused a few other anubias to melt. It was really weird and maybe it was a coincidence. Now after a long time... I'm ready to add something new!

In there right now:
1 quarter sized Golden Angelfish
2 Clown Loaches

These fish been in that aquarium for almost 9 months. I was told that they were growth stunted and no one would buy them. So I felt bad and gave them a home. All of them have been living a peaceful life together!

So what other fish can I add in my 100 gallon?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Take a look at what Rainbowfish species are available to you, or if you want, there is a great place to get ahold of some of the harder to find / pure genetic specimens

Some will nibble on plants, but wont kill them.

There are well over 60 species so you can find just about any color, and with a tank that size, your not going to be restricted as to which of the species you want to keep.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go for a big cichlid species, will an oscar fit in a 100 gal? You could probably fit just about anything in there. I would actually go for a big pleco and maybe a big cichlid as well but first vote is pleco/catfish

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot everyone for the great replies!

@Noahma
I was researching Rainbowfish and I just couldn't get into them. To me... I don't know. They just look like generic fish.

@mistergreen
I might add some more clown loaches, but when I first bought clown loaches (there were 3 before), they absolutely DESTROYED a lot of the Anubias. The existing clown loaches just lost interest in the Anubias plants and now they're just leaving them alone. I haven't seen any poked holes in the leaves for months now! LOL, maybe they finally listened when I was muttering to myself out loud about the issue. If I do some day add some more loaches, I really hope they don't shred up my poor Anubias leaves.

I was kind of hoping that someone could recommend me a schooling fish that's compatible with angelfish and clown loaches. I tried panda cory's, but they were just to fragile. They died off one by one, I might try another species of cory if someone can confirm that it's just the panda variety that's only fragile.

On the side note: I definitely plan on adding more angels. Maybe 3 more. More cichlids do sound fun! What kind though is the real question... I don't want one that's going to grow a monstrous size or one that's extremely aggressive.

Sorry I'm so picky

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone for the great replies!

@Noahma
I was researching Rainbowfish and I just couldn't get into them. To me... I don't know. They just look like generic fish.

@mistergreen
I might add some more clown loaches, but when I first bought clown loaches (there were 3 before), they absolutely DESTROYED a lot of the Anubias. The existing clown loaches just lost interest in the Anubias plants and now they're just leaving them alone. I haven't seen any poked holes in the leaves for months now! LOL, maybe they finally listened when I was muttering to myself out loud about the issue. If I do some day add some more loaches, I really hope they don't shred up my poor Anubias leaves.

I was kind of hoping that someone could recommend me a schooling fish that's compatible with angelfish and clown loaches. I tried panda cory's, but they were just to fragile. They died off one by one, I might try another species of cory if someone can confirm that it's just the panda variety that's only fragile.

On the side note: I definitely plan on adding more angels. Maybe 3 more. More cichlids do sound fun! What kind though is the real question... I don't want one that's going to grow a monstrous size or one that's extremely aggressive.

Sorry I'm so picky
If you don't want to deal with aggression then cichlids are not for you. Angels are a breed of cichlid but will not work with any others.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With a tank that big there are hardly any fish I have heard of that you can't keep, that you could buy at my lfs anyways. Basically I would recommend seeing what is available at your lfs and what you like. then research to see more about the fish. If you think it's a good fit go ahead. (Personally I would get a couple different types of cichlids that stay about 6 inches or smaller because I think their colors and behaviors are cool)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you have lampeye killifish in your area? Very peaceful mid level shoalers, and they get about two inches too, so they might not be considered a snack for the angelfish. I got some recently, and they look pretty darn cool, especially against a black background/substrate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@jilley
Is there any smaller cichlid that you would recommend that stays that small and gets a long with angelfish? I've looked into kribs and rams, but I just want to hear their experiences and knowledge of what they know!

@Warbler
I haven't heard of them and I haven't seen them in my local fish stores. Lampeye Killifish look a lot like guppies though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about a big school of Columbian Tetras (Hyphessobrycon columbianus). I have seen people successfully keep them with Angelfish. I like the little teeth they have. Reminds me of a piranha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@The Goonch
They DO look like little piranhas! <3
I haven't heard of those before. I'll do more research on them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sadly I've never kept angels so I don't really know, ive just been looking at getting into cichlids lately and their are tons of types available so I thought I'd pipe up. Right now I only keep a community tank. I've read apistogramma is another smaller cichlid, maybe research those?

Angels are pretty common from what I've seen and my lfs always has them in so I bet you could Google something like "tankmates for angels" or "_____ with angels". If you want to research about keeping the rams, kribs, apistos, ect with the angel. Or you could always join a cichlid forum which sometimes you can get more information from than here since its dedicated to cichlids.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Look into rainbow cichlids, festivum, severum....heck, I even used to keep an oscar with a pair of angels (angels were the boss of the tank....bullied the foot long oscar....go figure).

Avoid any of the real cichlid demons, but angels are a fair bit hardier and more urged than many give them credit for.

Also, geophagus species are absolutely beautiful fish, and totally work with angels.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Sorry I'm so picky
If you are interested in more corys, I can confirm that the Pandas are by far the most "fragile". I don't know what temp you are keeping your water at, but if you are in the upper end of the spectra (78+) then Sterbai corys will do well. If you are at a lower end of tropical, then many corys varieties are open to you. If you want hardy, the Bronze corys and their derivatives (Albino and most lasers I believe) would be your best bet.

Panda corys don't do well at normal tropical temps, and without knowing anything else, I would bet you had them over 74 degrees.

As for small cichlids that don't get too crazy, German Blue Rams would be a welcome and colorful addition. You could also go with the common Apisto varieties without too much worry. Don't know too much about the mid-sized Cichilids, like Acaras, but I imagine a few of them could work too. The Geos recommended above could be fun if you don't have any plants in the substrate and the hardscape is well anchored.

Really just came into the thread to tell you not to give up on Corys. They are a great addition to any community tank and are generally very hardy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have angels and discus. I recently added pristella tetra. They have cool fins. Also rummy nose are my favorite. In a big tank you can easily add 20+ and really enjoy their schooling. They never stop and are always together. Add Cory's too. They are a herd of vacuum cleaners. They are very fun to watch and useful too. Get 5 or 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Big cichlids like oscars and JDs do no go well with a planted tank. They WILL rearrange the tank to there liking, and I mean they WILL. I'd go with some more angels and a breeding pair of Kribs or GBR's

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Cichlids, you say? Cichlids that don't eat plants or that aren't huge or aggressive? Take a look at these genera:

Apistogramma
Laetacara
Cleithracara
Dicrossus
Nannacara
Pelvicachromis
Nannochromis
Steatocranus
Crenicichla (dwarfs only!)

These are a few dwarf cichlid genera. Just do a search for them and lots of pictures and info of different species will come up. The dwarf cichlids are some of the coolest of all fish!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@cjipping
Yup! You won that bet. I definitely had my temperature over 74 degrees because my clown loach require around 78-80+ something degrees. I bet that's what killed them those poor Pandas. I really like them too. What intrigued me was that these Panda corys would some times school together with the clown loaches and vice versa. It makes me feel like that the case is, is that clown loaches school with any fish with stripes.

It looks like I'm stuck with the Sterbai corys! I wonder if my clown loaches will get along with them.

@aman32
I SO want to get into discus. It's just that they're extremely expensive in my area and something tells me they're really super hard to take care of compared to angelfish. Discus are breathtaking!

@PlantNewbster
Uh-huh, I don't plan on getting any hardcore cichlid for that reason alone (Destroying plants). I really care about the plants in my aquarium. I looked into kribs and everyone is saying that they're crazy simple to breed. It makes me want to get an aquarium just for them for the soul purpose of breeding them! I know if I put a breeding pair in my 100 gallon, the eggs will get eaten by my angels or clown loaches.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I appreciate it!

I'm leaning towards...
More angelfish
Possibly 1 more clown loach
Sterba Corydoras
Kribensis Cichlid

Let's see. The case is now, how much of what. I know Cory's need to be in a large group but they're bottom dwellers so that shouldn't interfere with the overall fish space availability, right? I'm not sure how many kribs I should get. I might just get two. I'm so glad that they're sex is super easy to distinguish. As for the angelfish... how many more do you guys recommend I could fit after I add these other fish?

EDIT: Okay. After researching kribs, I don't think it would be a good idea to nuke my aquarium with a breeding pair LOL. I read too many horror stories of kribs wrecking havoc defending their young. Sheesh! It means they're really amazing parents though. Knowing this makes me want to buy an empty aquarium for only breeding kribs! It must be really fascinating to see them protect their fry and herd them around.

BUT! I didn't take my aquarium size into account. If I do want to breed kribs in my current aquarium, would the babies survive with the Angels... Clown Loaches... and corydoras?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep in mind that I've never bred kribs but I doubt they would be to hard on the other fish in a 100 gallon tank. That's got to be what 5 ft long? I would think they would establish territory's at one end and just keep the fish from coming in their space.

As for fry survival I would think that in a well planted tank with good parental care some would survive but I wouldnt expect a high rate.

If you want them but don't want to breed you could get just one or try to get all one gender although that might not work out well I don't know. If you want to get a pair for sure it's recommended that you start with six fish and let nature take its course. Sometimes the pair harasses the others and you have to remove them but in a tank that big probably not, as there is space for the others to go to.

Just a warning statement though it shouldn't be necessary, if they are too aggressive towards the other fish you could go with a couple options. 1: set up a twenty gallon tank just for the pair 2: tank divider and give them like a 1/4 part of the tank 3:take back to the store if you just don't want to deal with the aggression problems.

For more information you could start a new thread just about breeding kribs and if it would work and get input from more experienced people.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts