The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your worst nightmare? Mine was that the tank would break and my loft flooded. Well, thanks to my cleaning lady, that nightmare became true last saturday.

I´ve had aquariums for more than 25 years, always dreamed of having a gorgeous natural planted tank. Up til 2 days ago my dream was true, I had been hardly working on building my dream for the last 6 months. Plants were thriving, fish were thriving and spawning, the tank was the focal point of my home.

According to her story, when she came in (I wasn´t at home) it was like that... (right, you can clearly see where the main glass was hit).

Most fish survived (i got back as fast to save them). She literally murdered 1 discus, 1 marble angel, 2 zebra danios, 2 rummy noses, 1 cardinal (fish fell after the glass broke, and instead of picking them and placing them in the silver dollar´s tank, she insted filled the bucket she uses to wipe the floors with chlorined, cold water, and burned the poor fish).

The main victims were my beloved plants. I only saved the java ferns, anubias and whatever I had attached to driftwood pieces. Gone to the garbage were my almost 2 feet tall echinodorus, rotalas, toninas, crypts, sagitarias, grasses, aponogeton, and many more. I just didn´t have anywhere to place them, and needed as much space as possible at the silver dollar tank to house the survivor fish (8 angels, 2 discus, 6 neons, 2 zebras, a pleco and 4 corys).

The SDs tank is of course totally overcrowded (its only 60 gal). I will have to take some fish to the LFS and hope they find a home as good as the one they´ve had with me.

Appart from destroying my dream tank, 4000 usd worth of hardwood floor are ruined...

Sorry for the long post, I´m sooo frustrated and sad

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Wow that reallllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee stinks! What did the cleaning lady do? Was she insured?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh wow! It takes a pretty good impact force to break one with glass that heavy too. I've had tennis balls thrown in my living room that hit my 80 gallon tank I used to have and didn't even scratch it. I wonder what happened?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That´s what I´m wondering also! how the hell did it happen? If I believed her, how could it just break by itself? specially when you can actually track a point were it broke and from there the glass ripped upwards, and longitudinally.

But I guess it really doesn´t take much to actually break the glass if you consider that sometimes a tiny tiny rock hitting your car´s windshield can crack it badly, it could be the angle. And the worse towards her, there were more people at my house since 9 am and everything was fine, then 15 mins after she arrived water started flowing downstairs, but not before... so it´s really hard to believe it "just happened" out of nowhere...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
That is bad news. My tank is on hardwood too, over a basement and would be a compound problem that I hope never happens. I feel for you on all fronts!

I think tank glass would break with moderate force from anything hard and heavy. My kids have a little wood step ladder that they use to "Help" mommy cook, wash there hands.... I have no doubt if that bumped the tank with any force while being carried, the glass would crack and combined with some water pressure and whoosh.

Very bad luck. Really stinks. Hopefully there's a bright side and the insurance company will fund a project in which you can do everything that you wanted to do differently.....differently.

Good luck with the recovery.

AB

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I can´t claim anything with the insurance, it would have to be a "force of nature" flood...

I have leftover material from a year ago when I installed the hardwood, that I can use to change the more damaged parts, the rest I guess I´ll try to wax it and see if it shines back again.

The plants were the biggest loss... 6 months worth of effort down the drain, that for me is the irrepleaceable part... and convincing myself of installing it again is the second part. One part of me is thinking on just taking all the angels and discus to the LFS and keeping the Silver dollar aquarium only as it was before saturday... the other part thinks overcrowding it for a month while the large tank is fixed and cycled again won´t kill the fish, I already spent $$$ on the FX-5, the lamps, the fluorite is already washed... the plants will never be replaced though, but I can try it all over again...

On the plus side, the fish don´t seem that affected from the abrupt change of tank and all are getting along fine

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There's really not much you can do here without being able to prove she did it. It's your word against hers. What you could do, though, and I recommend this for people with large tanks that are not built into a wall, is surround your aquarium with a "plexiglass cage." Just simply enclose the perimeter of your glass aquarium with sheets of plexiglass, or lexan.

This is also a good way of protecting fish from the dreaded "tapping on the glass" that homes with children are familiar with. ;)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
<sigh>
You really have my sympathy.
This is the 2nd tank killed by cleaning people banging into it, that I'm aware of.

The one I saw in person was a 200+ that was the divider in a doctors office waiting room. One of the cleaning staff hit it with the butt of the vacuum cleaner handle. It left a neat bulls-eye. The people I worked with drained about two thirds of the water to get it below the "dimple" and ordered a replacement. When the crew lifted the empty tank off the cabinet it fell apart.

I won't have a metal capped Eu***a style vacuum cleaner around any tank I own.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
BlackandYellow,

The insurance issue is a real shame. I would have thought it would be covered like a burst pipe would, not uncovered like a long-term leak, or act of nature.

I don;t have much to offer you, but I do have a few extra clumps of Vals that you;re welcome to. In a couple of weeks some surely big Wisteria stems. If there's a way to get them across the border, you're welcome to them.

AB

·
Registered
696 Posts
Unfortunately I can´t claim anything with the insurance, it would have to be a "force of nature" flood...
I'm sure you called your insurance company, but I had a similar incident, and my insurance co covered the damage. They wouldn't cover the tank or contents, but did cover clean up, hardwood on floor it happened on and carpet in basement.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i wonder if she still has a job cleaning your house:hihi:

I talked to her yesterday. The real problem is that it wasn´t actually her but her mother and her 14 yo daughter the ones that went to clean my home that day. I seriously told her that either they tell me the truth about what really happened or she will loose her job. She´s worked for me for over 6 years now. I hope for her own good she tells the truth. I really don´t want to fire her, of course it was an accident, she didn´t do it herself but her careless family.

Against her is that there were people working on my roof top that don´t have access inside the house, but confirmed water started leaking downstairs about 20 minutes after the cleaning lady arrived. They were at my house since 9 AM and the incident happened around 11:30 (sealing leaks... how funny, I was worried it could rain and ruin my hardwood floors because the roof was all uncovered (tiles were removed)...

I´ll see what I can do with the floor, with the leftover material I had from last year, maybe just replace the more damaged parts and just give it a good polish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.