The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought a 10 gallon tank. i dont have a hood and light but i do have a heater and a tetra whisper ex20 that i barely use.

i have a 5 gallon hex that is almost complete in the cycle.

i havent done the cycle and im planning on doing it later on...

1. i wanna buy eco complete for substrate and its only gonna be a low tech planted tank. is it okay to do the cycle without the lights and add the plants later on?

2. i dont have a light and im wondering if regular light off any lamp is okay to use like for your living room?

3. im planning on doing the fishless cycle is this gonna affect the plants if in the middle of the cycle i add them?

4. fish that im gonna put are neon tetras which is in my 5 gallon hex, cory, betta which is in my 5 gallon hex, and shrimp if ever they breed?

thanks for the info

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT! :)

Yes, you can cycle the tank and then add plants and lights- or add them at any point in the cycle.

You need flourescent light close up to the tank- so you can use a regular desk lamp if you want, just make sure it has a flourescent bulb inside.

Bettas tend to eat dwarf shrimp.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup thats what im doing now. i bought 20lbs of eco complete and i started running the filter. i use seachem prime and a little bit of stress zyme. add a little of salt.

thanks lauraleellbp for the comment

thats why im seperating the betta from the 5 gallon and the neon tetras. :)

i might post my journal in another tread. ive seen people here with low tech planted tank and im jelous hehehe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.