The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Is this a new tank? If so, then I would not suggest stocking with any of the above just yet. New tanks need to be cycled properly. Neons and Otos are sensitive to water conditions and may not survive change parameters and spiking ammonia/nitrite levels. I suggest guppies (males) at first and when the tank has been established, add the other fish and remove the guppies. Otherwise, if you have another tank, put some grave or used filter media into the 10 gallon tank. Temporarily move some fish into the 10 gallon tank as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a new tank? If so, then I would not suggest stocking with any of the above just yet. New tanks need to be cycled properly. Neons and Otos are sensitive to water conditions and may not survive change parameters and spiking ammonia/nitrite levels. I suggest guppies (males) at first and when the tank has been established, add the other fish and remove the guppies. Otherwise, if you have another tank, put some grave or used filter media into the 10 gallon tank. Temporarily move some fish into the 10 gallon tank as well.
Nope, the tank has been running for A year and half....its parameters are Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-20....And yes it has been cycled, Im just mad about one thing...why would you suggest cycling with live fish!!?? thats just cruel!!...:angryfire

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ok, that should be no problem.

As far as who cycles with live fish, I do. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've been in the hobby for a long time and have been doing this method since. I never bothered with ammonia, because it's hard to find and a waste of time/money. I have waste producing material in my tanks already, so why buy them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that should be no problem.

As far as who cycles with live fish, I do. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've been in the hobby for a long time and have been doing this method since. I never bothered with ammonia, because it's hard to find and a waste of time/money. I have waste producing material in my tanks already, so why buy them?
Well, Im Also sure that you arent the only one cycling with live fish, but thats just because lack of info, you dont need to buy ammonia...you can get raw shrimp for $2-3, and just put the rawy shrimp in a Zip-lock with holes, and keep it in the tank to get your cycle going...That can be another way of cycling a fish tank...Anyways thats just your opinion and I accept it...Thanks.

·
Registered
993 Posts
IMO, cycling a tank using live fish is cruel when you know that the fish can not tolerate it (pointed at the guppy suggestion). Tiger barbs or goldfish, IME can tolerate the whole ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle, as long I do regular water changes (bi-weekly if ammonia/nitrite is zero/low, daily if it is high).

Guppies, again IME, will not survive the cycle, unless you "cheat" by using a lot of plants (I used java ferns, hornworts, and bacopa). Neon tetras typically die as soon as ammonia spikes, but I'll be honest, I have 10 neon tetras, 1 common pleco, and 2 dwarf gouramis that have successfully cycled 2 tanks -- no idea why these dudes are so hardy.

EDIT: I will never recommend using neons or gouramis for cycling a tank :eek:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
OK, why go through all this with a planted tank?
If you plant heavily from day 1 with fast growing stems, you will see 0 ammonia if stocked carefully. Plants will use up the ammonia.
I've done it 2 times.
No ammonia.

Fish only tank,
Don't know, because I won't do that again, Even if it's just floaters, and hornwort to absorb nutrients.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, Im Also sure that you arent the only one cycling with live fish, but thats just because lack of info, you dont need to buy ammonia...you can get raw shrimp for $2-3, and just put the rawy shrimp in a Zip-lock with holes, and keep it in the tank to get your cycle going...That can be another way of cycling a fish tank...Anyways thats just your opinion and I accept it...Thanks.
Can you explain this to me alittle more, im kind of new to this hobby and would like to know alot of little secrets. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you explain this to me alittle more, im kind of new to this hobby and would like to know alot of little secrets. Thanks
Fishless Cycling
As an alternative to cycling your tank with fish you can just throw a piece of raw shrimp in your tank. It will decay and produce an ammonia spike and begin the nitrogen cycle the same as fish poop. READ this Article its great http://www.aquabuys.com/page/aqb/CTGY/z2h

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

Ouch. I'm getting bashed here and all I was doing was just trying to help. Well, #@*&^#*&^ you too. Last time I try to help you. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, so does anyone mind if we get back to the original question? :icon_lol:

When stocking a tank the standard rule of thumb is 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish. So, a 10 gallon tank should support 10 inches of fish. But you also have to factor in the adult size of the fish, what kind of filter you have and if your tank is heavily planted. A heavily planted tank reduces build up of waste and poisonous toxins, which is good when you have a lot of fish. :proud:

In my case, I have a 10gal right now that is considered over stocked, and if I posted the stock I have in it I'm sure most people would start bashing me. ;) But honestly I haven't had any problems becuase I chose fish that stayed small and were not very territorial. Also, I have a HOB filter AND my tank is heavily planted.

I have no experience with Otos or Kuhli loaches. I'm not sure if you have already but I would suggest researching their specific requirements, average adult size, temperaments and if they are "plant-safe"

·
Registered
146 Posts
Back to the stocking question. I think you'll be fine. All those fish are VERY peaceful and stay small. Even though the Kuhlis get longer, they're snaky--not the same body mass as a 4 inch cory, for example.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks Melissa3 & AmoAquafish. My tank is HEAVILY Planted, and I got a HOB Filter Made for 20 Gal. tanks. Also otos are plant safe and they only get about 2", the Neons only get to 2" maybe 2 1/2", Black Kuhli loaches get to 3 1/2".....So hopefully it will be ok...Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.