The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am little dense so this may be completely wrong. I am under the understanding that chocolate shrimp pop up in RCS line and that blues pop up in chocolate lines. What percentage (I know its completely estimated but for guesswork purposes) of RCS shrimplets can be Chocolate and what percentage of Chocolate shrimplets will be Blue? Are we talking like 1:1000 or is it lower than that?

·
Registered
278 Posts
When you figure out the number of people keeping cherries and chocolates (or any shrimp breed) to those who have actually managed to get a stable breed from a one-off mutation and the number of shrimp they must have bred before the mutation appeared... the number is vanishingly small. I'd say 1:100,000 would be generous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not asking about stable breed, I am asking simply about a shrimp that shows the traits I am asking about.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In the time I kept them I probably owned a couple thousand RCS, and since I gave them away to a few people they've had thousands more and there's never been a chocolate shrimp born from the group.

If you have a population of cherries who carry genes for chocolate shrimp then you might be able to figure out a ratio of how often they pop up, but if the genes aren't already there then you have to rely on a mutation creating the gene. And mutations are inherently random in nature, you can't predict where or when they'll happen.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yeah I'd gather it's going to be more along the line of 1/100,000 or more. So far in my short time I've had about 400-500 RCS/PFR (mixed colony) and so far the only 'variation' I can say that's popped up is a pale muted purple type red (nobody get excited, it's not attractive). I don't consider it a mutation, just a craptastic quality red really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.