The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a little off subject for this forum but may apply to Ripariums, anyway I had to share this mutation that randomly occurred in one of the traps on one of my Venus Flytraps. I noticed something didn't look quite right and on closer inspection discovered what looks like a kind of double trap trying to develop! How bizarre!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very interesting, I love VFTs. Which cultivar is this?

Would be interesting to see if any more traps develop like that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just bought my daughter a Venus Fly Trap last weekend. She has wanted one for a long time. We fed it on Sunday. I have to tell you, it was soooo cool watching it close down on a insect that she fed it with a pair of tweezers.

That VFT that you have is very nice.

How do you care for them? Is there anything special I need to do?

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Very cool and scary. With time perhaps it can be developed into a proper mouth shape.

You feed them insects and water them with distilled water. They do not do well with liquid fertilizers. In their natural environments there are virtually no nutrients in the water.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
They also need a period of dormancy in the winter and do best with at least eight hours of direct sunlight.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Very interesting, I love VFTs. Which cultivar is this?

Would be interesting to see if any more traps develop like that.
It's B-52. It'll be interested to see if anymore come about.

I just bought my daughter a Venus Fly Trap last weekend. She has wanted one for a long time. We fed it on Sunday. I have to tell you, it was soooo cool watching it close down on a insect that she fed it with a pair of tweezers.

That VFT that you have is very nice.

How do you care for them? Is there anything special I need to do?
I use either distilled or demineralized R/O water and they're planted in a mix especially for carnivorous plants. I have them in an enclosed terrarium growing under an Orphek PR72 Planted. I shorten their photoperiod during the winter and lengthen it during the summer to try to give them a dormancy. I also feed them live insects whenever I can.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This is cool. I gotta get into carnivorous plants more and have better luck with them.

Have you tried giving any of those mutant traps a bug? I'm curious if it would still close and work properly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
do you ever put yours in the fridge for the winter or do you just shorten the photoperiod to induce dormancy?

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
This is cool. I gotta get into carnivorous plants more and have better luck with them.

Have you tried giving any of those mutant traps a bug? I'm curious if it would still close and work properly.
As soon as I catch a fly I'm going to give it a try. For some reason they're absent from my house lately. Plenty of ladybugs or I guess it's their Chinese counterparts though.

do you ever put yours in the fridge for the winter or do you just shorten the photoperiod to induce dormancy?
I heat strictly with wood so it drops into the 50's in the room they're in during the winter so no need to refrigerate them. I just reduce their photoperiod.

Very nice - is the B-52 a tropical variant? If so, it shouldn't actually need a cold period dormancy.
No, the B-52 is the world's largest trap variety which was grown by Henning Von Schmeling and registered on 12/6/2006. All Venus Flytraps are Dionaea muscipula, all the same species, just different varieties, so they all need a dormancy.

Just fed it a carpenter ant and the trap does work!

·
Registered
211 Posts
thats a very nice one. I am still learning a bit about these plants myself
We bought one for my son about a year ago, grew like a weed after transplanting it.
Now ive trimmed off the first flower stem, let the 2nd one grow complete (first flower is starting to get ready to accept pollen as soon as a 2nd one opens) so im hoping to get some seeds to make a few more.
Tomorrow I may trim the 3rd stem that just started showing up.

Once all the stems are done, gonna repot it in something bigger.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Wow, a double headed Dragon. The Nature never stops to surprise me.

"Feed me".

v3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts