The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in some beautiful Marsilea quadrifolia from aquariumplants.com yesterday. Included in the shipment was a piece of paper advising me to cut the plants off entirely 1/4" above the pot. I've never heard of anyone on here doing that and wanted to see if that is indeed true. Is there no hope for the four leaf clover type leaves to grow underwater? Will they all just melt away and be replaced by underwater leaves eventually anyway?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I just got in some beautiful Marsilea quadrifolia from aquariumplants.com yesterday. Included in the shipment was a piece of paper advising me to cut the plants off entirely 1/4" above the pot. I've never heard of anyone on here doing that and wanted to see if that is indeed true. Is there no hope for the four leaf clover type leaves to grow underwater? Will they all just melt away and be replaced by underwater leaves eventually anyway?
Go ahead and cut them. I placed some in my tank from the same place. spread them out a bit though. It took about a week before new clovers started to grow. And they grew much closer to the substrate than what you got with the order. They do not spread quick, so you might want to break up the clump a bit. Very nice little plant, although mine got quickly over run by Diatoms, eventually my RCS cleaned them up again.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I recently got my first four leaf clover plant from AquariumPlants.Com, I found this old thread. The old growth on my plant was turning brown and I was looking for advice. You can see a picture of what happened to my plants in that thread.

They are still slowly recovering, but I think they will be ok in the end.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...-dwarf-four-leaf-clover-burnt.html#post401209
Thanks for that and everyone's responses! That thread and dapellegrini's awesome carpet is what made me want to buy some in the first place.

Off to give them quite a trim!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes, trimmmmm! That four leaf clover shape is it's emmersed form, probably grown in a very humid or hydroponic way.
If you just leave it the way it is, it will turn black and melt off, polluting your tank.
Trim it down, clip into pieces, and plant it about the area you want it to. Given the right conditions, it will grow in with single lobed leaves, similar to Glosso.

·
Registered
486 Posts
+1 to what others above said. I didn't get that message/note from aquariumplants and put the clovers in the tank. I had plenty of dead/brown leaves all over the place, but also have tons of runners all over the place producing one-leaf plants. I like them...just hope they stay short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.