The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After spending the better half of this year on my first tank (54 gallon corner bowfront), experimenting with lighting, pressurized CO2, various plant types and difficulties, my fiancee has finally given me "permission" to invest in some name brand stuff.

Just got my new ADA 60P and 24" BML 20k LED in, along with 18L of Amazonia. Next order will be an Eheim 2213 filter with an inline Hydor heater. Already have an existing pressurized CO2 system with my 54g that I'm taking and putting with this new ADA tank. Final order, when I manage to save up, will be for lily pipes to complete the whole look. :)

Going with a nature style tank, with a little color thrown in the mid and background. Using existing manzanita I have (the picture below of my dining room, the tank on the right has the main piece that will I be cutting up and sanding to mimic a stump with roots, along with another stump I have from my first aquascape attempt).

Plant list so far:
Either Monte Carlo or UG (foreground carpet)
Hydrocotyle Tripartita (midground and mixed in around the manzanita roots)
Rotala Indica True (kept trimmed low and scattered in midground)
Cabomba Purple (background)
Fissidens Fontanus (painting the manzanita during a dry start)
Taiwan Moss
Riccia (on stones)

Having a hard time deciding on background filler plants, so this is the part I need help on lol.

Ignore the uncut garden mat....I had no idea that the ADA mat made specifically for the 60P still had to be cut lol.

Fish list:
6 Celestial Pearl Danios
4 Siamese Algae Eater
Pumpkin Shrimp (the CPDs, SAE, and shrimp I already have in my 54g)
Want to add a pair of Peacock Gudgeons and school of rainbow endlers as well.

Will post more pics when I have time to get my hardscape started. Have a lot of manzanita to go through and play with to decide which pieces will work best for my idea. Along with a lot of black lava rock I need to clean, using these to help build up some hills, especially under the roots and stumps.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Looks promising!

I can't really tell from the photo, but if you like to keep the glass clean all around, make sure that the hardscape is far enough from the glass. It just looks like the vertical element is very close. Again, your preference.

What do you think of putting the tall root piece at the very back? Similar placement horizontally, just swap it with the rear-most one. It's a bit distracting. Although once plants are in, the plants may soften it up.

How do you like the back to front spread on that light? What lenses did you get?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ADA 60P + BML 10k

Yeah the vertical stump is about 1" from the glass on each side, just enough to be able to get in comfortably with my tweezers or Python (minus the larger end piece which I keep off).

I'll try your suggestion too. Never setup a tank with perspective in mind before, so it's a challenge, but your suggestion may help that.

My light is a 24" BML 10k at 90 degrees. Light spread is pretty even, more actually than I was hoping for, as I was going to try crypts or anubias nana petite around the stump. Those last two pictures are with the light at only 50% too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks for the info on the light. That combo you have is one that I am considering a few years from now when I have the room for a bigger tank. I like to keep my eye out for people doing the same combos, use their tanks for inspiration, you know.

Hope this is an enjoyable project for you!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking for any suggestions. This is my first actual hardscape attempt, as my last planted tank was just a medly of failed/successful experiments with no premeditated layout or anything lol.

The pictures above on the right are still what it currently looks like...sitting on this design for a few days just to make sure I'm happy with it before I start planting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like your start. I am new to planted tanks and started a 20 gal just recently with DW and plants. Following your thread to learn and get ideas.

You mentioned inline heater. Do you have experience with them? Are they efficient in heating compared to sitting in the tank? I have a 35 gal tank I want to start up with canister and want to hide as much as possible since it won't have a sump to put things like heater, thermometer, etc.

thanks,
John

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eheim 2213 and 200 watt Hydor heater ordered. Also snagged a lily pipe inflow/outflow set from CO2Art on Black Friday. Picking up some tissue culture monte carlo, and emersed grown rotala indica true this weekend. Think I'm going to do my dry start with those for a few weeks before I start painting the driftwood with fissidens. Really looking forward to finally getting this new tank planted!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Redid my scape. Piled up lava rocks underneath the aquasoil to build up more elevation, added a few extra pieces of manzanita. Plants got here a day early so I was kind of rushed trying to get a hardscape I liked. The cup of TC monte carlo was already looking rough, but ahead with the dry start anyways. Hope it recovers. Gonna try to carpet everything but the back with a single cup of it. Also picked several baby anubias nana plants that I started stuffing into the crevices under the stump.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been having a run of bad luck lately with the new setup. Hydor heater got here, and it was so banged up, dented, chipped, scratched, that I have to return it. Not simply because it's cosmetically destroyed, but with how banged up it is I'm worried about the internals of it.

Also finally got my new violet style lily pipes from CO2Art...well not pipes in the plural form, as they only sent me the outflor, completely missing the inflow pipe I also paid for. Now to wait until next week for a reply, and probably at least another 2-3 weeks waiting for them to ship it to me. However, I will say that the lily pipes from CO2Art are incredibly well made, thick heavy glass. I'm really impressed with the quality feel and look of it.

Below is my current cabinet situation...still working on organizing the wiring. And still have to install a magnetic bar for my scaping tools, and get all the clear tubing cut in with the quick disconnects. Still a ways to go, but finally making progress. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know where you ordered your hydro from but I've had 3 (1 I had to return) and all three had a small dent in the side like your last picture. Kind of odd.
Got mine from Amazon. Never had an issue before, manufacturer box looked brand new and was shrink-wrapped to the bottom of the amazon box. No idea how it got banged around that bad. New one is supposed to be here today...hoping this isn't a common ordeal lol.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Do you have plans to switch to a 5# tank? Not sure how long a paintball tank would last on this tank. The inside of the cabinet looks good! I've seen someone use the Ikea magnetic knife strip on the inside door for their planting tools. It's perfect for the Besta!

I'd look to add more rocks for the scape. Looking good so far though!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have plans to switch to a 5# tank? Not sure how long a paintball tank would last on this tank. The inside of the cabinet looks good! I've seen someone use the Ikea magnetic knife strip on the inside door for their planting tools. It's perfect for the Besta!

I'd look to add more rocks for the scape. Looking good so far though!
The 24oz PB tank lasted about 3 weeks on my 54g at 3 bubbles/second. This new one is only 17g, but I am going to be cranking out CO2 pretty high for at least the first month, obviously before I add fish. ;)

I do have plans down the road to upgrade to at least a 5# tank and better regulator. Not a fan of how sensitive this one is, and there's a slight short in the power cord to my solenoid, so I have to keep it pretty stable and secure or it will shut off on its own.

I'm going to be doing exactly that with the magnetic bar, but first I have to rig up a way to keep it locked without destroying the clean look of the front. I have a 2 year old girl who is getting into literally everything right now lol. And thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ADA 60P + BML 10k (56K Warning!)

I screwed up the dry start and pulled everything. Planted three new pots of Monte Carlo and went ahead and flooded since my other plants started coming in. Added hydrocotyle Japan. Hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia, fissidens fontanus, true rotala indica, all arriving tomorrow hopefully (were supposed to be here today....).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts