The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you ever see random killings in what should be very peaceful tank mates?? My black skirted tetras are murdering my leopard danios. Sigh. First they killed my neon tetras... Now the danios? Wtf

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
They are not peaceful community fish. Either keep them with tank mates that work (semi- aggressive, or fish that swim in different areas, so are less of a target) or else return the fish and get something more in line with the other fish you want to keep.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I had 12 of them in 130gal, also platy, swordtail, danio (reg and albino), plecos... no problem... after i add bunch of baby angels i saw tetras less but still they were good, no aggression to another kinds ))) but maybe i was just lucky )

The big tank helps with aggression, but I'd still say you're lucky. IMO, Black Skirts are evil nippers.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It is even more variable than that. at one local LFS they have a bunch of them with angels in a smallish buyo tank.... no aggression. I have also never had major problems with them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Black Skirts the most maligned tetra on the entire planet.

I wonder if there's more to the stocking numbers, tank volume, and sexes dynamic involved with these fish.

As a preteen I used to have a 15 gallon all sorts 'community tank' with a pair of small Opaline Gouramies, a female Betta, few Neons, a Pristella and a Black Skirt. The tetras all sort of hung together because the Opalines and the Betta were always a bit grumpy. It seems to me that if you have a male Black skirt that's starting to get 'Alpha' and not got enough females in his school to chase and display with, he may start taking it out on other fish. Especially if his other Black skirt companions are predominately subordinate males.

My Black Skirt was a female as I remember that it got pretty large, and was always mellow despite being much bigger than the Neons and Pristella.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.