The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My build thread for my 3 tanks can be seen here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=485193

I have been finally trying to identify the mish-mash of plants I have acquired (and managed to grow successfully in my 33 and 10 gallon planted tanks). They were all purchased, unlabelled, from dirty tanks at my little hicktown's chain fish store.

I'll start with my 33g community tank. I can take better pictures, if required, but I'm hoping you can at least help steer me in the right direction (if not identify them outright) from what I have already.

1. Cyperus Plant (Cyperus helferi)
2. Dwarf Hygro (Hygrophilia polysperma)
3. Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens)
4. Alternanthera sessilis - NOT AQUATIC
5. Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
6. Giant Hygro (Hygrophilia corymbosa)
7. Ludwigia Peruensis (Ludwigia glandulosa)
8. Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis parvula)
9. Dwarf Sag (Sagittaria subulata)
10. Possibly:Java moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)
11. Anubias nana (Anubias barteri 'Petite')
12. Cryptocoryne undulata

Not pictured but, in this tank, I also have:

13: Windelov Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov')
14: Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

But, they're both pretty unmistakable.

Larger versions of all pictures can be seen below, but let me know if better pictures or further information is required to make a positive I.D. on any of the unknown. I have highlighted the ones in red that I am 99% sure I have properly identified and added what some of my guesses are for the others (but please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :proud:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a larger front tank shot for reference:

First up is some sort of crypt, but that's all I know (seen bottom right in the full tank shot):

Next is the large stem plants (top right in the FTS). They were labelled as Hygrophilia Polysperma when I bought them, but I suspect that's incorrect:

This is a random bunch plant I recently purchased on a whim to add more colour. It may not even be fully aquatic for all I know, but perhaps someone here recognizes it?

Both plants pictured here are unknown to me (the tall grass to the left and the stems to the right). I have an idea of what the grass might be, but I'll see what you guys have to say...

Another red-ish stem plant. Probably quite obvious what it is, but I'd like to be sure:

This is another plant that has done really well in my aquariums, but I've never quite known what it is. Smallish grass-type plant that spreads by runners:

Here's what I assume is anubias nana petit:

And lastly, lets see if anyone can tell what kind of moss I have here? I've always just assumed it was java moss, but I've never even attempted to identify it:

That should do it for unidentified plants. I'm curious to see what you guys n gals can come up with!

Thanks again in advance :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tall grassy - Cyperus helferi
6. Hygrophila corymbosa
3. Ludwigia repens
2. H. polysperma - emersed
4. Alternanthera sessilis - not aquatic
7. Ludwigia glandulosa
9. what people call Sagittaria subulata, even though it really isn't
12. probably C. undulata
Wow! Thanks sooo much. I'll update my list. I suspected #4 wasn't aquatic (as it's the only plant not showing healthy new growth) but that's still frustrating. Good to know, though!

Only question left is the moss. What's needed to identify that most easily? Should I pull some out and take macro photos or can the experts work with what's posted above?

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.