The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 65 gal tank (3.5 feet wide) and doing planted tank for the first time. I've a ceramic dispenser of 1 inch dia with bubble counter within. I have placed it on the opposite side of the powerhead so the bubbles are pushes around the tank before they escape to the surface. My current configuration is at 2 bps, however, my CO2 checker which is on the other end of the tank is still bluish mostly. If I increase the bps, the bubbles quickly escape to the water surface and disappears.

Should I split the CO2 and use 2 dispensers or just increase the bps and don't worry about bubbles escaping? :nerd:

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
To split a single co2 line effectively into 2 requires a needle valve per each line. When everything else is right (no leaks, flow, dispenser location, etc) the benefits of 2 dispensers in the same tank are questionable.

What fluid are you using in your co2 checker? The co2 checkers (aka drop checker) take a while to react to changes in pH, they are commonly 2-3 hours behind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What fluid are you using in your co2 checker? The co2 checkers (aka drop checker) take a while to react to changes in pH, they are commonly 2-3 hours behind.
I am not sure what fluid exactly (came long with drop checker) but it worked on my smaller tank and I was able to see color changing to greenish. I am aware that it usually takes 2 to 3 hours to change color but it stays bluish in my large tank all day. If i increase the bps my fishes start gasping.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It sounds like gas exchange is an issue if you increase to more than 2 bps and your fish start gasping. Even 4 bps in a 65 gal tank shouldn't be excessive. I'd recommend checking out this article: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/gas_exchange.html

I've read that running the CO2 outlet into a powerhead is a pretty effective method of diffusion. Personally, I run my outlet directly into the intake of the HOB filter, and allow the impeller to do the work of breaking down the CO2 bubbles for easier diffusion into the water column. The plants on the opposite end of the tank start to pearl a few hours into the lighting period.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Personally I think it would be great - i donno if I'd go out of my way to make it work.

I have my co2 come on at 8 AM and my tank lights come on at noon.
I have a TON of surface agitation and my pH drop is very high, I'm not 100% trusting of my pH pen but my most recent reading offgasses pH was 7.99 and at 5PM my pH was 6.33

I presume its even higher at noon but I'm rarely home to check it.
Would like to run 2x strength for just an hour before the lights cause more co2 is wasted in that 4 hours I have to spend ramping up the co2.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information.
I’ve started increasing CO2 bubbles for last 2 days and seeing some color change in the fluid. I’ve placed the dispenser against the water current generated by powerhead so it goes round the tank. Now the fluid has started turning greenish when I see in the evening. I’ve to check the ph sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.