The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 75G I am going to be setting up as a low tech planted tank- probably looking at a centre "island" type of scape, with loads of crypts, rocks, some stem plants and maybe some vals.

I am wondering about the possibility of housing many bettas, mixed genders, in the tank. What are peoples' thoughts? I know everyone will immediately say bad idea, but does anyone have any experience with this? Has it been done?

I feel like by giving them enough 'ground' to call their own territories, the bettas can stake their own claims and be happy.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
That's a probable no go. I mean, you can definitely do it and maybe a few of them will work out. But most of the males will kill each other. A sorority of females is known to work and would look good. But they got the name 'fighting fish' from somewhere.

You are going to get the solid "No" on this forum. If you want to do it, go for it. It's your money and fish at the end of the day.

Here's a whole site dedicated to betta fish:

Betta Care 101 - Myth vs. Reality Page 4

Males will probably kill each other.

I think it is a terrible idea and would highly recommend against it. Obviously it isn't a guarantee since fish do have personality and temperaments. But this is like housing a school of red tail sharks together. It just seems bad and they are known to be aggressive. But there are outliers and exceptions to the 'rule'.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies. randym's post here was exactly what I wanted- actual results from someone trying it. I had googled myself, but I came up relatively empty handed other than a lady posting on instructables that she had like 30 in a 55G tank.

I will not be moving forward with this idea and will come up with something else :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Back in the late 1980s, before the Internet, I added two female Bettas to a 29 gallon community hex tank that already included a male Betta. I thought he was lonely and heard the females could live together. It didn't end well for the male Betta. I would love to try a sorority in the future, but I would make sure I had a large tank like yours with lots and lots of hiding spots.

YouTube has videos of sororitys. The best one ones have girls of every color. Just gorgeous!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Betta sororities tend to collapse in very messy ways. B. splendens were bred to fight each other to the death on sight, they are not fish that you can keep together. They don't stake claims and stay in one spot like reasonable fish.
Try wild bettas instead. Less finnage, but they won't rip each other apart and can be kept in groups. Plus, there are kinds that are large and therefore will show up better in a 75g.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.