The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I originally posted this in low tec tank section but I think here is more appropriate.

I've been refering to this forum quite alot in the past month so decided to join. I have just converted my 70g to NPT in the last few days and I have some questions.

Tank: 270L (70g) 100cm long 45cm deep 60cm high
Lights: 2x 2 39w t5HO lights (too much I know)
Filter: cheap pro aqua canister 1500L per hour.

This is what I've done so far:
Took fish out (8 head and tail light tetras, 1 male guppy, 2 small bristlenose catfish and a small redtal shark) and placed them, with heater and small internal filter, into a plastic storage container. I changed my substrate from all gravel to organic soil mix bottom capped with my existing pea size gravel. I filled the tank, turned on my canister filter (BIG MISTAKE), then went to bed for the night. Next morning the tank was completely blacked out with red/orange mud! And ive realised that Ive forgotten to dose prime!!!! In my rush to get it filled before bed. Filters well and truly dead. So I drained the whole thing and went to my LFS to buy some more plants. I planted about 50 - 60% of the tank. Filled it up and let it sit over night again. Next morning nearly completely clear so I decide to turn the filter back on and to add the fish because I didn't want to leave them in the bucket any longer. It is now 3 hours later and the water is cloudy again to the point where I can just see the back of the tank.

So my questions are:
Will the silt in the water harm the fish?
Should I take them out? I don't have room for them in my other tank.
Should I turn the filter off?
When can I turn it back on?
How long do you think it will take to clear?
What have I done wrong?
Is there anything I can put on top of the gravel (like sand) to help hold the soil under the gravel?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.