The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 12 years ago I got 11 MTSs from a fish store. They did fine keep the extra food under control and the substrate airated. But they multiplied faster than my buying of fish tanks even so I went from 1 tank to 19. Evenually I ended up removing the MTS by the hundreds and flushing them. They were not unsightly and remained hidden most of the time and kept the tank healthy as I obviously have a problem with over feeding or they would not have multiplied this much.
About 5 years ago I ordered some assassin snails from Belgium at a time when they were not very common here. They did well for me and they sold easily. I kept the breeding of them confined to just a few smaller tanks feeding them with pest snails (MTSs) from larger tanks. Then somehow a few of the tiny baby assassins got into the larger tanks. I suspect this happened via the vaccum. They ate all the tiny MTSs and not enough survived to mature to reproduce themselves and on top of that I harvested the adults to feed to the adult assassins. The end result is that I ran out of MTSs and planaria took over their role in cleaning up the left overs. I am still not sure if assassins will eat planaria as well. I have planaria in tanks without assassins but they are also now without enough MTSs due to overharvesting. I do not have a planaria outbreak in the tanks where I keep the assassins. I just started an experiment in a 1 gal tank. I put in 8 assassin snails and about 20 planaria. Nothing else but a little suesswassertang. If the assassins get hungry enough I hope they eat the planaria. We will see. If that is they case I would prefer to use the assassins to fix the problem they created in the first place rather than resorting to chemicals that will kill MTSs, assassins and planaria equally.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Please hit Enter and Indent your paragraph. It's really hard to read a solid block of text @[email protected]

I have assassin snails in in planaria tank before don't seem to reduce any population. They won't even eat the tiny micro snail that's almost transparent (forgot the name) usually stick on the glass.

I heard Spixi snail eat hydra but not sure about planaria. I recently got 2 Spixi but no more hydra or planaria to test it out =(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.