The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Malaysian Trumpet Snails vs. Pond Snails

Okay well I have those teeny pond snails in my tank. Not the larger ones. The ones that are like tiny pea-sized. And I found a clutch of eggs on my glass tonight. No biggy to me, but I have been reading that they eat plants. The only snails that I have willfully let take over my tank in the past were MTS', and they never touched whatever was in there.

Are Pond Snails pretty much the same as Trumpets when it comes to care, feeding, working, etc?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They eat everything. I would advise against it, but to answer your question they are just as easy to care for. But total pests.
well i like having the small snails in my tanks for a number of reasons, but not if they will eat all my plants. I have just never noticed MTS' to eat on anything other than algea/leftover fish food/etc. So pretty much what Im gathering is MTS>PS?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The only thing I would advise against is common rams horn snails, they will eat lotus leaves. Pond snails are great additions to the tank for a variety of reasons, one is the potential of becoming food depending on what you keep. Even shrimp love crushed snails.

-Andrew

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I would advise against is common rams horn snails, they will eat lotus leaves. Pond snails are great additions to the tank for a variety of reasons, one is the potential of becoming food depending on what you keep. Even shrimp love crushed snails.

-Andrew

good to know. I looked all over to see if they would burrow like the MTS' would and help areation and eat deteris, but couldnt find anything >_>

Since I was looking at the tank becoming a shrimp-only tank that is good news as well. Im glad to know that if I decide to crush a few, they'd be accepted ^_^ Thanks.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Pond snails are great all-purpose detrivores, and are less picky about what they eat. This can, of course, be a good thing as well as a bad thing. It just depends on how delicate the plants in your tank are, and how large of a population of the PS's you have.

But they certainly help my tanks by eating a lot more of the detritus than just MTS's do. And at the same time, I can't say I see them burrowing around the tank the way that MTS's do, so they probably don't have the same benefits to the substrate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.