The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as for the clay I strongly believe that it is a non- polymer clay although I am not 100% certain

I will sell a small flat rate box full of clay for 8 dollars shipped
I'll way the boxes later to day and post the poundage
[STRIKE]I will sell you 25 pounds of clay for 28 dollars shipped
[/STRIKE]http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-201-indian-red-clay-no-67-talc-free.html
EDIT: I'am still sending out the free dolomite and potash but, I lacked the foresight to realize that people would not want to buy them with the clay as I had a hard time finding clay and an easy time finding the ferts so I am now selling potash 1/4 cup potash and 1/4 cup dolomite together for $3 total plus $5 shipping

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
PM sent, for one 6.5 pound package. I agree that this is natural clay, without polymers in it. One of the writeups I read about it calls it "natural clay", and from what I found when I researched clays a few years ago, they always brag about the polymer additions when they are used.

·
Registered
487 Posts
67M Indian Red Clay is a waterbased ceramic clay that is kiln fired. We no longer distribute the polymer clay (FIMO). You may want to check at Michael's, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby for Sculpy etc if you want a polymer (oven baking) clay.

Lori Jenkins
Technical Services/Product Safety

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:18 PM
To: Jenkins, Lori
Subject: non-polymer

Do you know if the AMACO Indian Red Clay No. 67 is a non-polymer clay. Do do you sell any that is?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im interested, how much do i need to do my 75gal
clay wise I'm not sure how deep are you making your substrate the typical amount of clay to soil is 5-10% to find that use the weight of your mineralized soil at the last drying cycle. I used 9 pounds for my 72g but I think I used too much as the soil was very red as for the bottom of the ferts, I'd say you'd need about 1/2 a cup[STRIKE] so you will need more than I send with the clay If you'd like you can buy more from me.[/STRIKE] I still have a ton left I'll just send some extra with your clay if you order

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
67M Indian Red Clay is a waterbased ceramic clay that is kiln fired. We no longer distribute the polymer clay (FIMO). You may want to check at Michael's, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby for Sculpy etc if you want a polymer (oven baking) clay.

Lori Jenkins
Technical Services/Product Safety

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:18 PM
To: Jenkins, Lori
Subject: non-polymer

Do you know if the AMACO Indian Red Clay No. 67 is a non-polymer clay. Do do you sell any that is?
why didn't I think of that
shadow thanks for doing the research for me. why din't I think of that instead looked through about a thousand links from google and couldnt find any info :icon_conf

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok I was thinking last night I was trying to figure out how to find the amount of clay to purchase for a tank here is what I came up with :
weight of plain top soil * the amount of soil weight left after mineralization usually .8 or .6 mattering on amount of organic matter and then to find the amount of clay*.05-.1
(top soil * weight lost)*(5=% of clay)
as for the soil I don't know how much to buy I started with 80 pounds of soil and ended up with about 5 gallons worth
so to answer your question shadow you would need a bit less than a pound of soil for for each gallon so to do all of your tanks about 210ish pounds of soil and then (210*.7)*.1 so 14.7 pounds of clay about pm me and we can figure out a deal I can give you a better deal than buying more clay than you need

SORRY IF THIS POST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.