The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do MTS snails float at the surface. The last 2 nites I had probibly 100 baby/small snails floating at the surface.

I shouldn't complain they realy help keep my Planted Discus tank clean.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Are they actually floating? Or are they just hanging on the glass at the surface? They're known to head for higher levels if there's a sudden spike in the tank. Any water company guys been in your area? I know that any time I see my utility guys in the neighborhood, it's time for me to check my water.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
My snails float around sometimes. I always figured they were using the current to move around faster. Maybe they are feeding off of surface scum also /shrug.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My neighbor had apple snails and they would float seldom but after they would float we would see snail eggs a few days afterwards.
Im not sure if that could be a same issue?

·
Registered
888 Posts
My neighbor had apple snails and they would float seldom but after they would float we would see snail eggs a few days afterwards.
Im not sure if that could be a same issue?
It is not a problem in my opinion. These invasive apple snails can be seen floating on the surface all the time in canals with their 'siphon' sticking out of the water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts