The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a number of queries with regard to mineralized topsoil over the past week in the sticky and they've gone by and large ignored, despite most of the MTS "gurus" being active since then, so I thought perhaps that thread is kinda dead and the gurus don't visit it anymore. Hence, I'm creating a new thread with some remaining queries (the ones I didn't solve on my own already). Here goes:

Epsom salt and coral chips were suggested as a suitable replacement for dolomite. Arising from this, I have a few queries:

(a) the use of Seachem Equilibrium was discouraged as a replacement for dolomite despite its calcium and magnesium content. The reason for this is the high solubility rate of Seachem Equilibrium as compared to dolomite. However, Epsom salt (MgSO4) is also very soluble. In fact, MgSO4 is one of the main ingredients of Seachem Equilibrium. Hence, why is Epsom salt (MgSO4) a suitable replacement for dolomite despite its solubility, when Seachem Equilibrium is not?

(b) Potassium Sulphate (K2SO4) was discouraged as a replacement for Muriate of Potash (KCl). The reason given was that the SO4 portion of K2SO4 would eventually form hydrogen sulphide, create anaerobic pockets and kill off the plant roots. It was suggested that K2SO4 be mineralized together with the soil in order to get rid of SO4. However, as pointed out above, Epsom salt is a recommended replacement for dolomite. Epsom salt is MgSO4. Why is the sulphate in MgSO4 acceptable, but the sulphate in K2SO4 not acceptable?

Those are the 2 main queries I can think off the top of my head now. It's been bugging me for ages, but on the sticky I've never had a direct answer to my questions. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but those are obvious logic flaws that I notice from the experts and I'm really trying to understand things better, so I hope that someone will be able to clarify and point out where I got it wrong.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since answers are not forthcoming from the people who made the assertion about sulphates, I've enquired elsewhere and gotten responses. It seems that the information provided here about Sulphates not being recommended for going under the MTS due to the potential of Hydrogen Sulphide forming is inaccurate. Hydrogen Sulphide will not form even if you use Potassium Sulphate as a replacement for Muriate of Potash (Potassium Chloride). This would explain the inconsistency regarding the recommendation AGAINST K2SO4 while at the same time having a recommendation FOR MgSO4.

Short story: You can use K2SO4 as a replacement for Muriate of Potash with no fear of bad stuff happening.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts