The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good idea as to how to rid a tank of mt snails.tearing down the tank is not an option.the biggest problem is the babies,they float on the water surface and they like moss.a very ugly site to say the least.these were not introduced on purpose.i have cherrie shrimp in all my tanks so a chemical is out of the question.someone needs to come up with a good idea for a snail trap.i thought mabe a skimmer would work,but they are expensive.on my smaller tanks i've boiled the substrate and of course that kills them.regards,cornhusker:help:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Your MTS are out during the day??? They are usually nocturnal and I say usually because some people have reported them being out during the daytime. I believe loaches will at least eat the babies, but I wouldn't introduce them since you have cherries in this tank. Manually removing them seems to be your only option. There is a DYI snail trap in the DYI section. Let me find the link for you. This may work.

·
Registered
845 Posts
BTW, MTS are probably one of the most beneficial snails you can have in your tank. But since ya don't want them, maybe the snail trap can help you. You can offer your MTS on the Swap & Shop if you like too. There are many who want these snails. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
That trap Christin posted would be a cool project, but an easier way is to get a small waterbottle (8oz or 4oz if possible), cut the top off where it starts to narrow, stick it in the bottom upside down, and bait the trap with some algae wafers. Some shrimp will probably get stuck in there too, but it'll be easy enough to pull them back out.

Another method that I've used with more success, but is a little more labor intensive, is to boil some zucchini, tie a string to it, drop it in with the string hanging out of the tank, and when the zuchhini is covered with snails, pull it out. :)

Neither of these are likely to get ALL of the snails out, but it'll definitely help with population control....

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I like my MTS, but I have seen a tank overrun by them, and agree that it can get pretty gross, however too many MTS usually indicates too much food is around for them. Remember they are not algae eaters, so a population boom of MTS could indicate especially filthy gravel, or regular overfeeding of your other tank occupants. What I recommend is every early morning before your tank lights usually go on, to simply remove by hand any MTS you see on the glass. Within a week or two of doing this your MTS population will noticeably decrease. If you can't vacuum your gravel, you should underfeed the tank, or at least use less bottom feeder food that is more likely to get absorbed into your gravel before your other tank occupants can get at it. Shrimp can easily find and eat food that gets caught in your plants above your gravel, while MTS cannot. As for floating baby MTS you need to have some plants that grow to the surface to catch them in the current. I have this problem with floating Ramshorns, so I allow a few stems along my side tank glass to grow at and above the waterline that helps keep them from staying afloat too long.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here's an interesting little tidbit I found about MTS:
"If you see an entire herd of these or any other snails headed for the top during the day, you have a severe water quality problem. Or your filter system has shut down." - http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug, Snails, Malaysian Trumpet.htm

So how exactly are they beneficial besides moving the substrate around? I have a few of these in my 5g.

·
Registered
400 Posts
In my 60 gallon I see them quite regularly during the day. My parameters are fine and my fish are healthy. I do agree with if they are out in packs you might want to check your parameters but if its the occasional few, no biggie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts