The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Discussion starter · #24 ·
is there anyway how to get a rid of snails in a planted tank chemically
even if i have to take out the plants and dip them in something that is toxic to fish

cause i know copper will take care of the snails but it will kill plants
and ive heard of people dipping their new plants in a weak bleach solution...i just dont know how to do it

I posted earlier, thought I should update. I added Chain Loaches to help with a large population of MTS. A week after getting the Chains, the MTS appeared to be gone. In fact, they are still there, in numbers, but only come out at night.

I'm assuming the Chains keep them at bay during the day, but at night the snails come out of hiding.

Don't ask me how snails know daytime = big bad loaches and night = no big bad loaches, but this is what's happening.

I was about to get Assassins to finish the job, but thought that the current arragement miight be the best of both worlds. No unsightly snails during the day, but plenty doing the "good" work that they can do at night.

Check your "snail free" tanks with a flashlight. "who know what evil lurks in the shadows of night....the Shadow knows..."

Discussion starter · #32 ·
anything i can dip my plants in to kill the eggs and snails

this is what im doing to fight them
3 yoyos during the day and 2 assassins at night although ive only seen one since i put them in

Discussion starter · #35 ·
i think i won the "war"

first wave-1 skunk botia
that didnt work so well
it was too scared of everything
second wave-2 assassin snails i think that worked out pretty well didnt see them much but they stayed up higher in the tank
third wave-my big guns-3 yoyo loaches took care of the rest of them in a couple of days

LOL on the elephant ears analogy... but I gotta say, if you have that many snails and they are just the scourge of your tank, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe you are overfeeding your fish?

Obviously, once you have snails you always have snails (unless you add predators like loaches or puffers), but whenever you see a whole lot of them, generally you should just stop feeding your fish for a week or so. During that time, you can bait most of them out with a lettuce leaf.

It's not usually that bad. That's why I think there's something else going on. Like overfeeding, or not removing fish carcasses (which equals the same thing: an excess of food for snails to munch on).

FWIW.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
i didnt have that problem before
i was feeding a pinch 4 times a day
no snails
then one week i got busy and fed a pinch 1 time every day and got snails

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.