The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what fish can i use to get a rid of those stupid pest snails. i know loaches but i dont want them tearing up my plants

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
they also have to hold up to the occasional cichlid

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
assassin snails eat other snails...do they bother anything else

·
Registered
712 Posts
i'm surprised how effective assassins are. i find most things in life are over-rated, but the assassins absolutely lived up to my expectations. i bought 5 for a 20 gal tank which had a number of different snails. i wouldn't say i was being overrun with snails, since i make it a point of pulling out any i see while maintaining the tank. but i did have a LOT. they completely cleared the tank in about a week. empty snails shells litter the bottom of the tank. at this point, i find my harvesting handfuls of snails from other tanks just to throw into the 20 gal to keep the assassins happy. another plus is that they are colorful, don't breed like mad, and are cool to look at. two thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
MY vote is for assassin snails. They do their job silently, unobtrusive to others, no special requirements. Don't know about the cichlid part, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A week after I put a few zebra loaches (botia striata) in my tank, all I could find was empty snail shells. They're small, get along with each other and others, and don't bother your plants. I'm sold.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Chain Loaches. They are small, good community fish. They are nice looking and entertaining. They've become my favorite part of the cleanup crew. They school together and occasionalyy join other fishes, llike the rummies for a swim.

Had my big snail population under control quickly and after two weeks, snails are few and far between.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I purposely keep snails in all of my tanks. They're great scavengers and most don't bother plants until they get big. You can easily find and remove them manually at that point.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just got a red tail botia hopefully he will clean them up without getting punked by my shelldwellers

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my loach of choice was the yoyo
but these should be gentler on the plants and it wont come near the ground cause thats where my cichlids are...they had him up in the corner on top of the heater when i came home

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think its working really well
cause i dont notic them any more

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
never mind dont know what hAppened to him he dissapeared

1 - 20 of 38 Posts