The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a few bags of cheapo top soil, dumped it into a wheelbarrow and soaked it. I stirred it up a few times over two days. I drained off the water and dumped it on a tarp. It was very clumpy and sticky. Worked it over and let it dry, then re soaked etc. I was not happy with the consistency, ie, the clumping and all. So. I got a few more bags and this time sifted them into the wheelbarrow. I did the whole procedure as before, but this time , the mix is creamy and smooth. Im on my third soak/dry and it's lookin good. The sifting removed most of the clay balls and alot of the twigs etc.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really is a lot of work but, it's a great opportunity to aggravate my wife by telling her that the big mud puddle on the driveway is actually a money saving endeavor :biggrin:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It really is a lot of work but, it's a great opportunity to aggravate my wife by telling her that the big mud puddle on the driveway is actually a money saving endeavor :biggrin:
+1 :thumbsup: The severity and acute angle of my wife's "roll-eye" in view of my MTS project set a new standard in which all my other endeavors are now judged.

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
I bought a few bags of cheapo top soil, dumped it into a wheelbarrow and soaked it. I stirred it up a few times over two days. I drained off the water and dumped it on a tarp. It was very clumpy and sticky. Worked it over and let it dry, then re soaked etc. I was not happy with the consistency, ie, the clumping and all. So. I got a few more bags and this time sifted them into the wheelbarrow. I did the whole procedure as before, but this time , the mix is creamy and smooth. Im on my third soak/dry and it's lookin good. The sifting removed most of the clay balls and alot of the twigs etc.
It is highly advisable to screen first, then you dont waste your time mineralizing all the stuff that you are going to throw away anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.