The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the hobby for about 7 years now and am finally settled in enough to set up a tank again. I have been researching what's changed (a lot on one hand, but not as much as I expected on the other) and this method has a lot of appeal to me. Before I had to quit i was very much into the EI method and now I have neither the time nor the inclination for daily dosing and weekly water changes.

The MTS method greatly appeals to me. I'm working my way through the sticky, but wanted to ask you all if anybody had any experience with cable heaters to put below the substrate. I have a few sets of these, and always liked that they were less intrusive than traditional heaters.

Would the heat coming from below the substrate have an impact, positive or negative, on the MTS?

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
The MTS will act as an insulator. It will take a long time before the heat of the cables crawls through your substrate layer and affects the water column.

If the temperatures in the room a very stable, it might work. Otherwise you might end up with temp fluctuations.

I don't think it will have much of an impact on the MTS at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.