The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am back again, and going to attempt my first moss(christmas) wall, as well as microsword carpeting. I tried dwarf hairgrass in this tank but it collected a ton of green hair algae. It seems to be very prevalent in this tank. Probably due to the 30W lighting on the 10galons and pretty poor CO2 DIY. Just doesnt seem to diffuse well.

So after ripping out all the algae covered dwarf hair grass, and giving it ot my friend, i took all the microsword that had spread a bit in my 46 gallon out when i took that one down, and cleaned out this little 10gal boiled the rock(that was covered in green hair) and scrubbed the glass.

I planted all the microsword and the goal is to get a microsword carpet covering. Then i plan to grow a Christmas moss wall.

Cool thing about this christmas moss -It came as a single one inch strand entangled in the dwarf hair grass when i ordered the hairgrass. I let the peice of moss float around, until it grew into quite a bundle.

I have the new setup of this posted at day one here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/misterparker/10galShrimpFryTank

Or

Here are some smaller versions:

I realize that moss is not evenly spread, but as the moss grows, i plan to trim and spread in throughout the mesh more evenly. I just dont have a ton to work with yet. Soon enough though.

I also have placed two Jungle fert tablets in each of the front two corners of the tank, to see how the microsword reacts to it, and if anything else reacts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

One week later - here is the moss wall.

I just got some Flourish Excel - hoping keeps the algae (green hair) at bay and lets the plants really grow a lot more.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
You might try starting with lights on 4 hrs and increase 1 hr a week. Another thing that may help is dosing with KNO3. You can buy it here or get Spectricide stump remover at Lowe's. Needs to be diluted 1Tsp to 1cup tank water. Then just dose 5ml weekly. Works for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had some good tufts of green hair on on the silicone seals in the corners when i started the Excel dosing. Its now gone. I dont know if the chinese algae eater just ate it, or it died and so he ate it. anyways, its gone! so hurray!, The moss seems to be growing pretty well. The microsword is growing slowly, but surely!
Week 2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the grass is all growing pretty steady.

Problem is its hard to see on that gravel because of all the multicolor of the gravel. I just bought some black ecocomplete - precycled stuff (2x 20lb bags) and used probably 3/4 or even 4/5 of the bag on my 5gallon i just setup. I am contemplating using the remainder and other bag and swap out this multicolored gravel for the black eco complete.

What do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.